PR
Posted By
Parly_R
Feb 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created a large image (36” x 36”) which I am trying to use to sublimate to 36 6” x 6” tiles. My problem is that I need to create slices which I can arrange into a manageable sized document (my sublimation printer will handle 13 x 19 inch) for printing. I cannot figure out how to get those slices into another document. I tried to copy them in IR and paste to a new document, but the slices are transparent and won’t print.

Help please.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 5, 2007
The "Slice" command is intended for creating the HTML for images destined for the web.

For what you are proposing, you’d be better off using guides to mark out the "tiles". This will facilitate the making of selections which you can then copy, each to a new layer. Finally, each layer can be saved to a new document for printing individually.

Hope this is of some help.

Chris.
PR
Parly_R
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the prompt reply, Chris. That makes sense. How do I make each "tile" a selection to copy to a new layer?

Parly
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 5, 2007
Use the rectangular marquee tool and copy to a new layer (Ctrl+J).

Or you could make a new doc the size of the tiles and copy them across to that. Then all you’d have to do is print that document x number of times changing the active layer each time.
P
Phosphor
Feb 5, 2007
Dang! I can’t find it (or them, actually), but:

There are Photoshop Actions and Scripts which will simplify the process of splitting large images into tiles for printing on smaller sheets of media.

And the wise procedure that these processes employ is to make sure that each fractional portion of the entire image includes some overlap on the edges of the tiles. You’ll find this overlap makes getting an accurate assembly of the whole, large printed image much easier.

Try digging through the Adobe Exchange <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?view=sn710> (such as it is, until the web team gets finished rebuilding it)…maybe you could also ask on the Scripting Forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.ef7f2cb>.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections