KF
Posted By
Ken_Fair
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with provided Photoshop CS3 files. When I open most of them, I get the missing font dialogue window. The option is to "Update" or "No".

In the past I have always clicked on "Update" and continued to work with the file. If needed, I would open the needed font with Font Agent Pro and got on with the job, no problem.

My new client provided Photoshop files only require that I click "No" not to update.

When I do so, I am getting font substitution instead of the file opening up with it’s existing bitmap/raster of the font screen rep.

In this particular instance, the bitmap screen rep is all I need.

Usually the substitution is "Myriad Pro". If I disable "Myriad Pro" then "Lucida" is accessed for some reason.

I need to be able to click on "No" (do not update) and get on with my life.

I have searched the forum and didn’t find any reference to this particular problem.

I am working on a Mac Pro (2006), 5 GB RAM, OS 10.4.11, Photoshop CS2, Font Agent Pro 4.0.3

Any Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Kenny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2008
Font handling changed in CS3.

You NEED to click "Update" to use the files in CS2.

Work on a duplicate of the Client’s file if this worries you.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks, I’ll try that again. I was trying so many variations that I don’t remember exactly what happened when I clicked "Update".

Kenny
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 5, 2008
Ann, thanks for your response,

I have tried both ways with one of the files that is giving me the font warning. The same thing happens either way, clicking "Update" or clicking "No".

Not sure what to do about it.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2008
Do you actually have the required font installed on your System?

If you don’t, you will either need to buy it or substitute another font (which you do have) for the missing one.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 5, 2008
Ann,

No, but that isn’t the issue or hasn’t been in the past.

In the past, when I have clicked on update, if I don’t have the font, Photoshop just leaves the text layer alone, gives me the warning Yellow triangle and displays the text layer properly with the look of the missing font and only changes the font if I try to alter/adjust the text.

So, I’m not sure why Photoshop won’t leave the text layer alone as it has previously for me.

Thanks again for attempting to help me.

Kenny
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2008
I am afraid that I don’t know the answer in that case, and have no way of checking this for you.

Sorry!
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2008
You are going from a newer file to an older version. You need to get the font from your client explain you have an older version and need the font because of his newer version files.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks, Buko, I’ll try that. But the kink in the chain is I am receiving the files about 2 steps down the line. My client doesn’t have the fonts either because they have never needed them for their purposes. Actually, I have free reign to change the font but am trying to avoid that if possible for efficiency purposes.

But, It never hurts to ask. Well sometimes it does but that’s another story.

Curious, do you think if they save the files they send me with "Maximize Compatibility" selected it would solve the problem?

Kenny
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 5, 2008
I’ll be upgrading to CS4 as soon as the $s roll in. That would probably solve the font substitution thing?

Thanks, again, Ann and Buko for you input!

Kenny
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2008
I always save with Max compatibility so I don’t think about others not doing it. That might help but every new version that is released I always seem to update my type.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 6, 2008
Ann and Buko,

Thanks again for your advice.

Here’s an update:

We discovered that if my client makes the problem text layers "Smart objects", then it displays in my CS2 properly. So we have a temporary fix until I am able to upgrade.

Fortunately, my client is willing to do this one extra step. So, problem solved for now.

Kenny
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 22, 2008
Photoshop CS4 made the font problem go away.

I downloaded the Photoshop Extended CS4 trial last week. It installed without a hitch and it has been working great.

I am purchasing CS4 Design Premium Suite this week from my college bookstore.

Can I use this serial number to register the trial download?

Or, will I need to uninstall the trial and reinstall from the newly purchased disks?

Thanks,
Kenny
B
Buko
Dec 22, 2008
you will need to uninstall the trial as you bought a Suite
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks Buko,

Kenny
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
Ken:

When you uninstall the trial version be very sure to follow Adobe’s instructions closely.

Use the provided UNinstaller and run the Clean-up Script too before installing the Suite.

And don’t forget to Repair Permissions — the Flash CS4 installation leaves a slew of incorrect Permissions on your HD.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks Ann.

Everything seems to be just fine after installing the suite, except for Acrobat.

I get the Acrobat splash screen and then a dialogue regarding print pdf and Safari pdf install. When I ok that dialogue I immediately get "Internal program error" and Acrobat stops and quits. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times with no success. I’ll keep investigating this as time allows. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Kenny
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
Did you have an earlier version of Acrobat on that machine?

Acrobat CS3 and subsequent versions, and any Trial version of them, MUST always be removed with the UN-installer.

Try running the UNinstaller for Acrobat and then the Clean Script (Being VERY careful to select ONLY Acrobat for removal and for Clean-up!).

Repair Permissions and reboot and then try installing Acrobat Pro again.

Also, no Browser should be running while you install CS4 applications and updates.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 23, 2008
What is Clean Script? and where is it?

Also, I did not uninstall previous version(s) of Acrobat CS2. I’ve never done that in the past. (Always wanted a working version if the new install went nuts.)

Anyway I’ll try the uninstall of all things Acrobat and Clean Script once I understand what and where it is in the morning.

Thanks,
Kenny
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
There is no need to uninstall a previous version of Acrobat — unless it was a Trial version.

The important thing, if you do uninstall a CS3 or later version of it, is to do it both correctly and thoroughly.

The Clean-Script can be downloaded from Adobe’s web site.

Here < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us& term=clean+script&s_pageName=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adobe.com% 2Fsupport%2Fforums%2F&s_channel=Channel%3An%2Fa&site Section=support%3Aforums >
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 23, 2008
Regarding CS4 and Acrobat:

Uninstalled everything (Clean Script), repaired permissions, reinstalled CS4, repaired permissions, rebooted, verified that CS4 programs (except Acrobat) opened and were ready to use. Then opened Acrobat. The splash screen came up and then the dialogue to ok repair of Safari plug in. I told it to cancel instead of repair. Got the "an internal error occurred" and Acrobat closed unexpectedly again.

Not sure where to go from here.
B
Buko
Dec 23, 2008
install issues are free call tech support.
KF
Ken_Fair
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks Buko, I’ll do that.

I didn’t know install tech support was free. Cool!
JS
Jeffrey_Smith
Dec 23, 2008
The splash screen came up and then the dialogue to ok repair of Safari plug in. I told it to cancel instead of repair.

At this point, I would uninstall just Acrobat, then reinstall Acrobat and this time when asked to repair the Safari plug in, select repair.
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 23, 2008
I assume you activated the Suite via one of the other apps in the Suite? If not, Acrobat will not open.
KF
Ken_Fair
Jan 16, 2009
Update:
CS4 basically solved all of my font client problems. But, after 3 weeks of using it I have noticed small weirdness in Photoshop. After a couple of weeks, one day the cursor would revert to the move tool hand, I could select other tools but the hand tool stayed active and the tool I selected would still be overridden by the hand tool. I would have to quit Photoshop and reopen it then everything worked properly. This happened several times over a 2 day period last week. Weird.

Also, at one point the cursor position would be off about an 1/8" high. Meaning I would have to position the cursor an 1/8" up from the layer or guide I was trying to select. Rebooting Photoshop solved this each time. Weird.

Regarding the font thing. CS4 still replaces fonts even though I tell it not to when opening a file. But, I can immediately undo after the file opens and the replace font thing is undone. Weird. There seems to be 3 font warning dialogue windows that occur with a file. The "update fonts or NO" font warning is the one that replaces fonts when I tell it NO. Weird, Weird, Weird.
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2009
you should always update your fonts if you are using those fonts. as far as changing fonts the only time I noticed it is if the wrong font is active.
KI
Kyoko_Itoda
Jan 16, 2009
Regarding font, I think there are 2 things going on your file. First, open CS2 file on CS3/CS4, and second is missing font. First, Photoshop warns you "Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based update. Do you want to update these layer now? <Update> or <No>". Second, Photoshop warns you "Layers will need to have the missing fonts replace before they can be used for vector based output" and there is no Update/NO on this warning. <Update> is for converting files to the latest Photoshop version and there is no update options for missing font.
Because you see Update or No, your file has both warnings. Photoshop never has a option for substitution font on/off. Additionally, font substation from Courier to Myriad started in CS3.
KI
Kyoko_Itoda
Jan 16, 2009
Text layer’s yellow triangle, yes, this is for font substitution option <Ok/Cancel>. If you click OK, then font substitution occurs and you are able to modify the text. If you click Cancel, font name appears like [Myriad]. […] means font substitution is not occur yet.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections