GP
Posted By
Genie_Prokaski
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m creating a banner that will ultimately be 34" x 86". I’m building the file at 25% size. I have about 5 jpg photos that I’m using that I’ve converted to cmyk and 300dpi. My question is when I save my jpg and get to the question of ‘quality’ how low can I go to keep my file size down but my resolution crisp? My finished Illustrator size is about 140MG. Any tips on how low I can go on jpg quality to lower this files size in the end?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2008
Do a single save to save your original JPEG (I imagine that they were shot as JPEGs?) to .psd — and then remain in PSD.

If your originals are Camera RAW or film scan tiffs, don’t convert them to JPEGs at all.
R
Ram
Dec 4, 2008
will ultimately be 34" x 86"

This obviously means you’re going to print it, not use it on the web. Why on Earth are you using JPEGs? To send it out to the printer?
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
My finished Illustrator size is about 140MG

what is an MG?
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 4, 2008
Genie,

If your banner is not going to be viewed at normal reading distance, you can use 100-150 ppi resolution or possibly lower at final output size — again depending upon viewing distnce. And I can’t tell whether you mean 300 ppi at 25% size or 100% size.

But don’t compromise on image quality by creating or resampling .jpgs. Follow Ann’s and Ramón’s advice. Also, many inkjets are optimized for RGB printing, not CMYK. If you are sending this to a service for printing, verify the file format they prefer before completing your art. If you’re paying, say, $10/sq ft, you don’t want to waste money on a do-over.

I assume that "MG" is "megabyte" and not the English motor car. Always use "MB" so there is no confusion.

Neil
JC
Jay Chevako
Dec 11, 2008
To keep your illustrator file size down link, don’t embed your images, just make sure you include those images when you send your illustrator file. Jay

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections