Posted By
Johan_Graus
Dec 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I have this weird problem when printing a photo from Photoshop.

This is my configuration:
Leopard
Photoshop CS3
profiled and calibrated monitor
Canon ip8500
custom-built ICC profile for the brand of paper I’m using

When I print from PS I have PS do the colour management, I select the custom-built profile and in the printer dialogue box I turn off the printer’s colour management. The results of the prints, however, are horrible: there’s a magenta cast and skin tones are oversaturated, which suggests to me that some kind of double colour management is taking place.
The weird thing about this is that when I use exactly the same procedure in Lightroom, the prints are spot on!

What am I doing wrong in PS?

I would appreciate your help,

johan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
I select the custom-built profile

Where?

What exact version of Leopard? Β…and of Photoshop?

Are you honoring the embedded profile in the file?

Are you set to the Adobe Color Engine?

Never mind, I just got to the Canon part in your post. I’ve never been able to figure out Canon printer drivers. Sorry. πŸ™
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 3, 2008
and in the printer dialogue box I turn off the printer’s colour management.

Exactly how do you know that you’ve successfully turned off the driver’s color management? The results you report, magenta cast are indeed the expected results of double color management. So, while you THINK you’ve turned off color management in the Canon driver, apparently you have not actually done so. As RamΓ³n indicates, the Canon driver is, uh, hard to figure out…so you should take steps to figure out how to do so….
D
DYP
Dec 3, 2008
You may not be able to turn CM off in the driver. I can’t with the iPF series driver.

You may have to do the colorsync workaround where you allow it to double profile but with the same profile.

Do a search for ColorSync Utility in this and the LR forum. You will find how it is done.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
Better yet get an Epson
R
Ram
Dec 4, 2008
You can’t really turn Color Management off in Photoshop, anywhere, even if you try. What you turn off are Color Adjustments by the printer driver. Huge difference.
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
So why do I get great prints in LR and not in PS, using exactly the same procedure?
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
What version of LR?

A lot of Epson printers have the same problem.
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
Lightroom 2.1

I thought the big advantage of an Epson was that the driver is far more flexible in that it lets you disable colour management altogether.
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
I thought the big advantage of an Epson was that the driver is far more flexible in that it lets you disable colour management altogether.

Not necessarily. Drivers needs to be totally compliant with Leopard. At least that is what we are told. And, most drivers aren’t?

Have you tried CS4? There are changes in printing.

Oh, and is your CS3 version 10.0.1?
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
I have that capability in Tiger but not in Leopard.
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
With the Canon ip8500 driver what is happening under Color Matching drop down in the driver settings?
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
I have 10.0.3. Where can I find 10.5.6? It doesn’t update automatically.
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
Under Colour Matching ColorSync is checked, but it’s greyed out as well, so I can’t change anything. What is this ColorSync all about?
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
Where can I find 10.5.6?

it has not been released yet
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
Under Colour Matching ColorSync is checked, but it’s greyed out as well, so I can’t change anything. What is this ColorSync all about?

Is this the same way in LR?

Then I would suggest trying the ColorSync workaround. Just to see if it makes any difference. You’ll know that way if your being force to double profiling.
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
I have 10.0.3

I didn’t know there was a 10.0.3. The updates page only lists 10.0.1.
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
BTW: I can’t seem to find the Colorsync workaround. Can anyone help?
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
Do a search for "ColorSync Utility" in this forum and the LR forum.
JG
Johan_Graus
Dec 4, 2008
I found it and tried it out (to the letter!). Doesn’t seem to do anything. There’s still this magenta cast. So I guess, double profiling is still going on.

Since LR works fine, I guess I’ll do all my printing using that application then. πŸ™

Still, it strikes me as odd that LR works fine, and PS does not. This suggests to me that there’s a problem with PS and not so much with the Canon driver (although, I absolutely agree it would be wonderful if Canon finally allowed us to truly switch off colour management in their driver).
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
So I guess, double profiling is still going on.

Then it is probably not going on. At least you have probably eliminated that.

Do you have a saved preset (printer driver) for the LR printing? Does that preset print different when printing from LR.

Again I ask, What is the Color Matching dialog (the one below Layout) doing? Are the selections grayed out? What shows checked?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections