JA
Posted By
Joe_Apple
Dec 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am noticing that Photoshop seems to not redraw or refresh sometimes… seems to happen after I get several edits in. I will unhide or hide a layer, nothing happens on the canvas… I zoom in, then the change appears.

I am running on a mac pro (dual quad core xenon) 8gb ram, geforce 8800.

And before you blast me, yes, I have done all the tips in the performance thread.

I thought this may be an openGL issue, but when I disable that, same problem.

Again, this seems to happen after I get about 10-20 edits in… and my history is only set to 50. and the file I am working on is only about 20 layers.

Why do I get the feeling Adobe is really dropping the ball on the mac side of things???

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Dec 3, 2008
Joe you obviously have not poked your head in over at the Windows forum. They seem to be having much more trouble over in Windows world. Also we have one person using a Mac Pro with an 8800 who seems to be doing just fine so it could very well be something else causing your problems.
JA
Joe_Apple
Dec 3, 2008
That’s great and all… but do you have any suggestions on fixing the problem?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 3, 2008
You could try activating the optional ForceVMBuffering.plugin.

(If you are not using Open GL, you may also find the optional Bigger Tiles Plugin helpful — although I found that it was unnecessary on my System so I disabled it again.)

Another idea: drop your Cache Levels back to 4.
JA
Joe_Apple
Dec 3, 2008
I was reading that in OSX 10.5, there was no need for using the ForceVMBuffering.plugin? I will try anyway…

I have my cache levels at 1.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 3, 2008
The Leopard is a beast for whose acquaintance I have no desire — but good luck anyway!

8/
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
I don’t even see the VM buffering plugin for CS4:

It’s part of the CS4 installation. Look in the Goodies or Extras folder, Optional plug-ins.
JA
Joe_Apple
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, that is where I looked… and the only one in there is "bigger tiles"
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 3, 2008
Strange — but then that is possibly the only optional plug-in that works with Leopard.
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
Oooops! CORRECTION:

Adam Jerugim, "How much RAM can PS CS4e use in Mac OS 10.5.x?" #38, 23 Oct 2008 11:57 am </webx?14/37>
…

This is only an issue for CS4 users who want VM OS Buffering on 10.4.11. VM OS buffering is on by default with CS4 (and CS3) on 10.5.x, in which case users who want to disable it would want to grab the DisableVMBuffering.plugin.

–
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 3, 2008
AKA – Apple fixed the bug in 10.5, so we turned it on by default.
JI
Jeffrey_Ignarro
Dec 4, 2008
It just so happens that I spent a decent amount of time looking for these plugins yesterday. Here is a link to the mentioned plugins.

"Adobe® Photoshop® legacy optional plug-ins are optional plug-ins that are no longer found in the Goodies folder of your Photoshop CS4 installation DVD. If you still need these plug-ins, you can now access them only from this download package."

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4049>
NR
Niles_Ridgeman
Mar 26, 2009
I get a lot of the same redraw bugs too.
Sometimes it won’t show the front most document when switching between open files. Sometimes I have to zoom in and out to see changes. Sometimes hitting ‘tab’ and flicking the tools on and off gets it to work. Sometimes I just quit and try again.

I can’t find a pattern to it, just happens now and again. Really breaks my stride.

Interestingly we are running virtually the same system — notably the 8800 (mine’s ‘GT’, whatever that means).

After all the nonsense with the VM Buffering plugin, did it do any good?
JA
Joe_Apple
Mar 26, 2009
Niles…

:sigh:

No luck with anything… I will often turn off OpenGL support hoping it will help, but the problem still exists. It’s a real shame and effects me everyday.

Honestly, I have recently been using pixelmator (which screams in comparison) for some work because the bug is so annoying.

Really seems to be more effected by the number of layers.

Extremely annoyed…

BTW… my card is a GT as well.
NR
Niles_Ridgeman
Mar 27, 2009
That’s too bad.
I bet it’s the card, it was an upgrade and therefore ‘non-standard’. But I’m not basing that on anything real.

Must admit pixelmator looks not to bad.

But switching software in a professional environment is way too scary.

Oh, and all my files end up with hundreds of layers. So you could be right there.
NR
Niles_Ridgeman
Mar 27, 2009
I also get a redraw bug where it flashes a few changes back for a second when I zoom in and out. I wonder if that’s related.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections