PB
Posted By
Pat_Bauer
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not sure if this is an Album or Elements question–I have both, new. I am confused about the best file format saving approach. I have been saving photos from my camera or imported from Photo CDs in JPEG–but read that doing so will gradually degrade the images–every time they are opened/closed in Album/Elements? If so, I need to make a change quick. Would appreciate insights into what others, more experienced, do.

My main intent is to view the pictures on TV screen, via DVD burning. Printing is a secondary consideration, but occasionally applicable. I don’t do a lot of editing of the images–often none at all.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 9, 2004
Pat

If you are transferring the images from your camera to CD then there is no advantage of converting them to TIFF. In fact there are disadvantages in doing this the most important being that the Tiff will be larger and take up more room, secondly it is time consuming for no return.

Now if you are going to open these images, manipulate it, and resave it, them this is the time to go with TIFF or PSD. Every time you save in JPG the image is degraded a slight amount the more times you resave the worse the problem. The first JPG save from a camera is usually of high quality but subsequent other saves will soon upset the apple cart.

Grant
O
o3v3tz
Jun 9, 2004
Pat

I am adding info for PS Album to this thread so that you have a response in one place. If you wish to discuss Album in more detail, then I recommend that you visit the Album forum.

JPEG– read that doing so will gradually degrade the images–every time they are opened/closed in Album/Elements

There is special processing for editing JPGs with the PS Album Autofix or Fix Photo functions so that multiple edits do not cause multiple JPG saves that cause the quality to decrease.

The first time you edit the photo in Album, it saves the edited copy in JPG format as usual. However, if you then edit that same photo a second time using Album, it starts with the original photo and applies both the prior and the second edit. Therefore, there is only one save (recompress) into the JPG format.

So if you do only simple edits within Album, you can stay in JPG format. However, if you launch Elements from Album in order to edit, then it is time consider PSD or TIFF. Since it often takes me more than one attempt to achieve my objective when editing with Elements, I do save as PSD when I have launched Elements from Album.

Hope this helps.

Barbara
PB
Pat_Bauer
Jun 10, 2004
Thans to both of you for this info. It confirms what I read in Dummies but is clearer. I’ll mend my ways! Pat
PB
Pat_Bauer
Jun 10, 2004
Easier said than done! I just tried to figure out how to re-save an existing jpeg file as PSD or TIFF and couldn’t figure out how to do so. Can that only be done when importing the image the first time? Some I can re-import–others I cannot (deleted from camera long ago). In that case, would I save to a DVD, then "import" as new? Or doesn’t that work either? Appreciate any advice. Pat B
J
jhjl1
Jun 10, 2004
In Elements it is quite easy. Try file>save as>now select the file type you wish to use. hth

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Easier said than done! I just tried to figure out how to re-save an
existing
RH
Ron Hunter
Jun 12, 2004
wrote:

I’m not sure if this is an Album or Elements question–I have both, new. I am confused about the best file format saving approach. I have been saving photos from my camera or imported from Photo CDs in JPEG–but read that doing so will gradually degrade the images–every time they are opened/closed in Album/Elements? If so, I need to make a change quick. Would appreciate insights into what others, more experienced, do.

My main intent is to view the pictures on TV screen, via DVD burning. Printing is a secondary consideration, but occasionally applicable. I don’t do a lot of editing of the images–often none at all.

Thanks!

Sigh.

This question keeps coming up.

First, merely opening and closing a JPEG image will NOT degrade the image in any way, period.

Second, CHANGING the photo in almost any way (you can rotate it without loss) WILL degrade the image when you save it, and EACH time you load, edit, and resave the image will degrade.

VIEWING, COPYING, and Printing will NOT degrade the image on the media in any way.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections