L
Posted By
LMC54
Feb 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having problems with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 in the Vista x64 environment.

When starting either applications, I keep getting the message box to register no matter if I did previously. I even pressed don’t register many times. It just gets annoying.

Problems also with Aero graphic environment. The applications windows, especially Photoshop changes it’s window border back to classic type of frame and the interior floating menus has a mix of Aero window frames and classic window frames. So far both applications seem to work fine other than appearances and the register dialog box.

I hope these problems will be addressed with updates but knowing Adobe I might have to suffer until the next versions. I also have the same visual problems in the Vista x86 but there are no register dialog problems.

Thanks,
Larry Carter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Feb 3, 2007
The registration problem has been addressed several times. It’s a security issue. Check the forum for Vista.

On the frames and colors, I’ve also read a few things about that but it might have been with the CS3 beta.

But you have a different issue entirely with the 64 bit version. I’m going to go to Vista sooner rather than later but have no intention of using the 64 bit version.

You might want to have look through the knowlege base. There are some things in there on XP64 that will likely apply to Vista64

Bob
L
LMC54
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks Bob,

I’ll look into your suggestions.
I’ve tried both x86 and x64 and the x64 gives you better performance and more memory addressable for Photoshop which I need. I would suggest x64 if your hardware can handle it.
Thanks again Bob.
regards,
Larry
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 3, 2007
The hardware can handle it, but finding drivers and dealing with the incompatibilities with 32 bit apps doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Bob
L
LMC54
Feb 3, 2007
I think the incompatibilie of drivers for hardware is a bit of a myth. I’ve had absolutely no problems in the setup. Actually didn’t have to install any drivers but I did just for more control functions.
Regards,
Larry
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2007
is a bit of a myth

except for the fact that there’re no 64 bit drivers for all the hardware out there yet, yes, it’s a myth.
L
LMC54
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, I realize if you have old equipment and you expect to keep using it then using x64 is out of the question unless your product support team is willing enough to produce new drivers. Yes, I would call your device maker and question if future drivers are in the works. In my mind the x64 enviroment is worth leaping forwards. That is where the future is and I want to be ready. And "so far" I think I made the right move.
Regards,
Larry
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 3, 2007
With the advent of 45nM technology, can really fast, really big flash be far behind?

Some pretty impressive devices to run as scratch would minimize the need for 64 bit just to obtain extension beyond the 4G limit of 32 bit systems.
L
LMC54
Feb 3, 2007
You have a good point Lawrence but why not have a big flash along with x64 and have the best of both worlds.

I’m not here to argue the points of staying with x86 I just need to find supporting people to point me into the right direction as far as ironing out some small issues.

If it’s good enough for MAC to go all 64 bits, it’s good enough for me. Regards,
Larry
B
babaloo
Feb 3, 2007
There is the promise of a 64 bit OS and the reality.
There is the ability to shovel gobs of RAM into a computer and the real world ability of an OS and application to use it effectively and remain stable.
Even Microsoft does not recommend the 64 bit OS for everyday tasks. Win64 could be unstable and was incompatible with antiviral programs, CD/DVD authoring and video editing programs. Even MS Office may not be entirely stable under a 64 bit OS. 64 bit Vista has even less driver/program compatibility at this point.
I question how anyone can use any 64 bit version of Windows or even 32 bit Vista for serious use with Photoshop. I think you are kidding yourself. There are semifunctional printer drivers but no drivers for calibration devices. You can use the kludge of manually plugging in a monitor profile generated in a 32 bit OS but the 64 bit OS is running under a different video driver so that Photoshop gets told monitor colors are one thing but you are seeing something else. In any event based on my esperience and the few objective studies I have seen there are no real (as opposed to theoretical) time or memory usage advantages to using Photoshop as of now in a 64 bit Windows OS.
Try it and see: it is easy to set up a dual boot system.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 4, 2007
Hopefully, 64 bit will do for general graphics beyond providing extended ram capability!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections