Posted By
Christine_B_Miller
Nov 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I’m running CS4 on a new 3ghz Quad Core with 32GB of Ram. In photoshop preferences it’s only showing 2810 of available ram. What gives?
Thanks,
Christine

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 30, 2008
Being 32-bit, Mac PS apps can only directly address ~3 GB of RAM, but for years under OS X PS has shown much improved performance from 8 GB and more of RAM. OS X allows PS to take advantage of RAM beyond what is directly addressed by PS.

Like Adobe engineer Adam Jerugim posted recently: "CS4 (running on OS 10.5.x) will take advantage of all the RAM you have in your system as long as VM OS buffering is active (up to 32GB – I haven’t tested more than that)."

Set PS memory allocation to 65%-90% and fuggedaboutit. OS X will work its magic and help use all your RAM.
GB
g_ballard
Nov 30, 2008
Set PS memory allocation to 65%-90% and fuggedaboutit.

Not questioning that advice…from a logic standpoint, tho — with over 10gb ram — it doesn’t make sense to set Ps to 65-70% just to stabilize it.

If Ps has a problem running at 100% memory — which it appears it does (or at least did, I haven’t had time to test the 5.2 ACR update) — the engineers should write the 90-100% option out of our hands and at least make make it appear we can give it 100% of our ram (so it doesn’t irritate our neuroses and cause us stability problems)…
CB
Christine_B_Miller
Nov 30, 2008
Ok, but this doesn’t really answer my question….
Put it this way my other computer is a Power PC Dual 2 with 8GB of Ram. Photoshop preferences sees 3072mb in this computer. But, it only sees 2810 of Ram it my new Mac Pro with 32 GB ?
GB
g_ballard
Dec 1, 2008
are they both running 10.5.5

have you tried a New User to rule out preferences (and any extra plugins)

10.5.5, Mac Pro 8-core, 14gb ram:

Ps CS4 at 100% = 3072
Ps CS3 at 100% = 3072
CB
Christine_B_Miller
Dec 1, 2008
Yes, Both systems are running the same operating system. I’m a Professional retoucher in New York. I’ve been around Macs for years.
Hey, Adobe are you listening there is a problem in the way Photoshop is handling a computer with 32GB of Ram.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
I’ve been around Macs for years

Have you considered another platform that does not have a 32 bit application limit and inherent RAM limit for Photoshop CS4? 🙂

The app itself is limited to that amount of RAM but you are still taking advantage of the excess RAM as scratch.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
its the way the OS works that is just the limitation of the Apple OS at this point. CS5 will be fully 64bit. If you want 64bit now you will need to switch over to Windows Vista 64. From what I’ve heard you need a Windows box as running Vista 64 on a Mac does not work that well.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
If it is just a limitation of the Apple OS at this point, then why suggest that it will be fixed with another Adobe release? Apple OS is fine. Stop being a Mac hater. 🙂
GB
g_ballard
Dec 1, 2008
I think she understands the question as it relates to her Mac, her point, if I get it, is her 32gb box isn’t even giving her 3072…
CB
Christine_B_Miller
Dec 1, 2008
Once again…
With my Power PC Dual 2 with 8GB of Ram. Photoshop preferences sees 3072mb.

But, My Brand new Mac Pro with 32GB of Ram only shows 2810 in Photoshop Prefferences.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 1, 2008
System profiler sees all 32gb

New User has the 2810 or 3072 @ 100%…
CB
Christine_B_Miller
Dec 1, 2008
g ballard is correct… The system sees all 32gb
But photoshop only sees 2810mb. At the very least it should see 3072mb.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
Jim stop trying to cause trouble and get this thread shut down. The reasons for CS4 Mac not being 64bit have nothing to do with hating Mac so quit being an idiot.

Adobe has said there will be a 64bit CS5 version for Mac.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
But photoshop only sees 2810mb. At the very least it should see 3072mb.

there is some system overhead in there too. everything is as it should be.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Buko, you are insane and a troll. I am not trying to shut anything down. I was simply trying to correct your silly statement that an Adobe CS5 upgrade would fix the Apple OS. Grow up and quit calling others idiots until you can prove you are not one yourself.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 1, 2008
you are insane and a troll

ha, ha…
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 1, 2008
I was simply trying to correct your silly statement that an Adobe CS5 upgrade would fix the ‘limitations’ of Apple OS.

Actually Buko is correct. Apple killed off the Carbon 64 bit libraries in OS X (a limitation that they HAD promised to do then decided not to). So, Adobe has had to forego using Carbon (the APIs Photoshop has been written to since, oh, Photoshop 3 or 4) and convert to all Cocoa APIs. So, it _IS_ a limitation in the Mac OS and it _IS_ gonna take Adobe a poopload of work to address it.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Sure, it can be argued different ways, especially by anyone who has so much personally invested in Adobe. It could also be argued that the ‘limitation’ is in regard to Adobe holding to an old API when Cocoa has been around for a while. This ‘discussion’ is old.

CS5 is not going to fix the ‘limitations’ of the OS as Buko alleges; CS5 is going to (allegedly) conform to the requirements of the same 64 bit Mac OS we use today. Adobe needs to update to keep up with Apple (or Apple needs to slow down). It cannot be stated more simply and more truthfully.

Edit: and that ‘poopload’ is why I am suspect of CS5 really being 64 bit. 🙂
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
self edited
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2008
why I am suspect of CS5 really being 64 bit.

Photoshop CS4 is NOT 64-bit on a Mac (as we were told very clearly months ago that it would not be) — only the CS4 version for Vista is 64-bit.

Adobe have stated very clearly that they hope to have a 64-bit version for Mac in Photoshop CS5.

#18 is purely pompous and pedantic nonsense.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Ann is purely pompous and pedantic nonsense. Ann, try reading the previous few posts before repeating the same stuff.

I posted a joke in post #8 (as indicated with a smiley). Buko attacks as normal saying the same pointless trollish line ‘stop trying to cause trouble and get this thread shut down’ and then calling a fellow user an idiot.

Then Ann joins the assumed fray to pile on the crap.

Why can’t folks lighten up? If you are so dissatisfied with your life, end it. Stop bringing your bad attitude here.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 1, 2008
the ‘limitation’ is in regard to Adobe holding to an old API when Cocoa has been around for a while.

Uh huh…well at the WWDC in June 2006 Apple promised BOTH Cocoa 64 AND Carbon 64 and developers WERE encouraged to plan for it…then at the June 2007 WWDC Apple killed Carbon 64 (even after having seeded beta Carbon 64 libraries).

So, yes, I guess it was Adobe’s fault they believed Apple that Adobe COULD plan on Carbon 64 in 2006 and I guess it’s also Adobe’s fault that Adobe couldn’t switch APIs in less than 18 months for over 4 million lines of code. You’re right, it’s all Adobe’s fault.

There, feel better?
(course, everybody else in the world knows the truth)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections