Posted By
Louise_Menges
Feb 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A colleague asked me for help with this issue (here is his description of it):

"When I import an eps file (containing Arial text) into Photoshop 9.0, Photoshop claims that the needed font(s) are unavailable. It converts the text to the matching font, which is Courier. How can the default matching font be reset (to a sans serif font)?"

The eps file in question is output from an x-ray diffractometer, and is a representation of a chemical compound’s crystal structure in space, with labels (in text) for the atoms in that compound. It looks a lot like a picture of a Tinkertoy assemblage. Until he upgraded from Photoshop 6 to 9, although he sometimes got that message, it didn’t result in Courier substitution. He’s not especially particular about which font winds up in his output, but Courier won’t cut it for publication.

I opened the same file on my computer in Photoshop 5.5, got the same message, but if the font was substituted, it wasn’t with Courier. Opening it in 9 on my computer did result in Courier, though.

He is desperate to find a solution! Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Louise Menges

(Win XP on all computers)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Feb 2, 2007
Why are you using Photoshop to open this file?

Bob
J
JasonSmith
Feb 3, 2007
Open in Illustrator – change the font…if neccesary.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 3, 2007
My point actually was why open it at all? EPS, contrary to popular belief is not really intended to be an edited format.

It’s an end product. Of course you can save EPS from Illy and edit it again, but that’s more the exception than the rule.

Bob
LM
Louise_Menges
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks, Bob and Jason

Well, this guy is an inorganic chemist, and relatively unfamiliar with graphics file formats. The application creating these files doesn’t offer many output options, either. In the past, he has not wanted to modify the eps output until the font switcheroos he’s been experiencing after using Photoshop 9. I’m not sure he was aware that he could view an eps inserted into a document–I think he thought he must "open" it, and had found that Photoshop could. He now has a better understanding of the situation and should be able to get the results he wants. Thanks, guys!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections