D
Posted By
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on an image that’s 850mb flat, but with all the layers it’s now 9.25GB. And this is after I split it up into two files, background and foreground. There’s about 150 layers with layermasks in the foreground file alone and I need all the layers there. It was 6.8 gb yesterday, but today I opened it was 8GB without me doing anything. Also, I tried to crop it, not cropping the image smaller, but cropping to same size to get rid of all the excess information that stretch beyond the clipboard that I can’t see. This increased the image size another GB and took an hour to process. Why would file-size get larger when I crop? I realize that without seeing the file it’s hard to give advice on how to make the file-size smaller, but just trying to figure out if there’s something else I can try to reduce the file size except for the obvious (deleting layers, channels, etc.) It’s getting painfully slow.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 26, 2008
If cropping took that long, you had a target resolution in the crop tool and it resampled your image. Most of the time cropping is near instantaneous.
D
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
No I didn’t. I checked that. and also made sure cropped area was checked to be deleted rather than hidden. cropping is only instantaneous on small files.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 26, 2008
The "deleting" part made it take the time, and possibly made it larger in memory — because you modified each layer and possibly broke relationships between duplicated layers.
D
domihode
Nov 26, 2008
I realized also I moved the composition over, just a little bit, causing all the adjustment layers to add a white strip on the left. the adjustment layers are all black except for the piece they’re masking, but when moving them over I added a white strip on left. Is there a way of adding black instead of white when I move the masks around so that I don’t add information?
B
Buko
Nov 26, 2008
Make sure your background color is black.
D
domihode
Nov 28, 2008
that only helps if you’re moving one layermask at a time. not when you’re moving a chunk of layers at once. then it adds white on all the layermaks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections