Centre Marquee Tool.. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

DG
Posted By
David G House
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK this is really going to sound like a dumb qustion because I think I know the answer but can’t seem to make it happen…. when you are centering the marquee tool (the circle) am I supposed to hold the "Shift" and "Alt" key.. seems I read that somewhere and it will move out from where you clicked….. maybe I am supposed to hold my tounge in my cheek a certain way???? or perhaps squint one eye??? Any thoughts??

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2004
David,

This fooled me for ages them someone told me the secret …..

You need to start drawing the circle before you hold down the other keys. Not too far .. just a little …experiment with it 🙂

Shift and Alt … draws a circle from the centre
Shift … just draws a circle

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 7, 2004
You need to start drawing the circle before you hold down the other keys. Not too far .. just a little …experiment with it 🙂

Wendy,

I’ve not found that to be the case. I just line up the pointer, press shift, then alt, then click and draw.

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2004
Dick,

Sometimes I can get it work and othertimes I can’t but starting to draw and then clicking always seems to work.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 8, 2004
Wendy, FWIW, I found the same thing you did: start to drag, then shift… Otherwise, no circle (or square).

Chuck
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 8, 2004
David,

I know a cool trick that makes the centering issue moot. While your dragging your cicle, still need to constrain the circle with the shift key but if you hold the space bar down while dragging you can move your circle anywhere you want it.

Terri
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 8, 2004
I know a cool trick that makes the centering issue moot. While your dragging your cicle, still need to constrain the circle with the shift key but if you hold the space bar down while dragging you can move your circle anywhere you want it.

Well, I’ll be daggone, I didn’t know that one, Terry. That is definitely a keeper!

The hard part is that different programs use different combinations and my brain can’t keep them sorted out. Sometimes these keyboard shortcuts remind me of that game Twister. 🙂

Patti
PC
Pat_Coggin
Jun 8, 2004
I just draw the circle and hit the moved key and position it where I want exactly.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 8, 2004
Actually, to be honest the spacebar may be unnecessary. If you have the marquee tool still selected, you should get an arrow with a little dotted white box. As long as you don’t deselect or switch to the move tool, you can drag the selection around. If you switch to the move tool, it’s a no go…the whole picture cuts out and moves. I usually do the spacebar routine so I can do the circle on the go…also so I remember NOT to grab that move tool.

Terri
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 8, 2004
Tool Tip Number 3…..:-)

After you’ve made your selection, whatever shape, you can hold the Ctrl key down (only the Ctrl key) and this will allow you to cut out and move the selection. Not that I’ve ever wanted to do this but you never know.

Colin
DG
David G House
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks for all the info guys….. I’ll store all that… but I found what I was doing wrong… up on the menu bar right next to the marquee style you are using there are those lil icons that tell you "New Selection" etc etc…. I didn’t have "new" selected… once I did that it worked… So now do I have to stand in the Forehead "Bonking" circle (no pun intended)…. 😉

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections