LG
Posted By
Lynn_Gehlbach
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a black and white drawing of a princess on a horse (not that that matters) and instead of black, I want the entire thing changed to purple. It’s all line art. So I don’t want it filled. It’s black. I want it purple. How do I do such a simple thing? Thank you for anyone who can help me!!!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CR
Chris_Rankin
Jun 7, 2004
Lynn,
Try this: select the black with the magic wand tool. You may have to click on different pieces if the lines aren’t contiguos. Once the black is all selected with the selection (marching ants) still active, hit your backspace key. The black should disappear. You can now fill with the paint bucket set to purple. Make sure you duplicate your layer and work on the copy in case something messes up. There’s probably a couple of other ways too if this doesn’t work.

CR
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 7, 2004
I will be the first to admit that I am not a highly skilled user of Photoshop Elements. But when I have used the method that Chris explained my images have turned out very flat and unnatural looking. I have personally had better luck using the Replace Color feature. The tricky part is learning how to just select the color that you want. But if you create a duplicate layer and then replace the color on that duplicate, then you can adjust the opacity of the layer to fine tune your changes. And you can erase any parts of the layer that you want left ubchanged.
CR
Chris_Rankin
Jun 7, 2004
Jim,
I was going to suggest your method but didn’t know how it would work with the line art.Black can sometimes be a hard color to change. In a normal (not line art) image your method would probably be the best.

CR
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 7, 2004
Ah yes! I hadn’t thought about that. I’m afraid my thinking is stuck in the digital photography mode. I forgot how he had described his image.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 7, 2004
Lots of ways to do this. I prefer using Chris’s method but using a color fill (accessed using the black and white icon at the bottom of the layers palette) instead of the paint bucket. I like this option because it gives me more options and control of the color application. In the case of line art, you would be able to easily tweak your color without having to select the outline again if the color doesn’t suit.

Terri

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections