N
Posted By
Neese
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi…I’m in the process of making an image using Photoshop CS vs 8. The image is 7.75×10.5 and the background is set to black. I’m planning on using Helvetica font in a golden/brown color at 120px.

I will be sending it in to a professional photo lab to have a glossy print made.

So, I was wondering if the words will be legible on the print. Is there a particular resolution I should set the file to? Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure the text is clear?

Photoshop is the only product I have to work with and any advice or suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you, Diane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 1, 2007
The text resolution I believe is depending on the resolution of the file. If you image is say 300dpi then the text will be as well. Now I have heard, but have never done that you can export to something like PDF and the fonts will remain vector and print at the devices resolution. So if you have a 600 dpi printer the text would print at 600 dpi. I don’t know if this is true as I don’t do a lot with PDF.

I know if Photoshop at least the last couple of versions the text remains vector until you either covert it (rasterize it) or until you save the file as TIF, JPG, etc. basically a bitmap format. If you save as a PSD it should remain vector until you rasterize it.

Robert

Do not assume that because I didn’t reply to your comments that you are correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You can assume that you bore me!
JH
Jesse_Harding
Feb 1, 2007
Hi Diane,
If you create the image at 300 dpi you should be good to go to print. If you have any questions you might want to go directly to the printer. Depending on the type of print work you are doing, the res could be as low as 150 dpi.

Legibility will also depend on the contrast between your golden/brown color and the black. Make sure your gold is light enough that it is easy to read against the black, and realize that it will probably come out darker in print than it does on your monitor.

PDF or Photoshop EPS are both good options to save as because both give you the option to keep the Vector information attached to the image (there is a checkbox for this in the dialog after you name the file and hit Save). The difference is, when Photoshop goes to open a Photoshop EPS, it will rasterize it. Sometimes this is a good thing because it means you have the option to change the resolution before you rasterize it.

Don’t hesitate to ask your printer which file format they prefer.

Jesse

Hi…I’m in the process of making an image using Photoshop CS vs 8. The image is 7.75×10.5 and the background is set to black. I’m planning on using Helvetica font in a golden/brown color at 120px.
I will be sending it in to a professional photo lab to have a glossy print made.

So, I was wondering if the words will be legible on the print. Is there a particular resolution I should set the file to? Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure the text is clear?
Photoshop is the only product I have to work with and any advice or suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you, Diane
J
JasonSmith
Feb 1, 2007
If you keep your type vector – (dont rasterize), then export as PDF or EPS (with ‘retain vector data’ checked), the file could be 2ppi and still have crisp text, because it will be dependent on the output device’s resolution (1200-2400dpi on some devices).
B
Bernie
Feb 1, 2007
True, but if it’s a photolab (as the OP mentions) and they use a Frontier or similar machine, then 300 ppi is all you’ll get and you’ll need to have everything rasterized anyways (If you don’t do it, they will and may charge you for it) <br><br>That said, always keep a PSD with all the layers and vector data intact. <br><br>And talk with the supplier!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections