AM
Posted By
andre_michael
Jan 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m making a box cover in photo shop & I need to split the shape in half, for the front & side cover. How do I split or cut a rectangle shape in half.
I thought it was the slice tool but that’s for something else.

I could just draw two halves but I prefer just to split one shape into two halves

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jesse_Harding
Jan 31, 2007
Hello andre,

The only way I know to do that in photoshop would be to rasterize the rectangle layer (right click on the layer and select "rasterize layer"), and then use the marquee tool to draw a square around half of it, then cut and paste (which would paste the marqueed section on a new layer).

For that matter, you could just create the rectangle by drawing it with the marquee tool and then cut it in half the same way (saves you from having to rasterize the layer).

The downside is the rasterized rectangle won’t be vector-based so you won’t be able to resize it without losing quality. Get it sized right before you cut it in half and you’ll be golden.

Illustrator does have a cutting tool like the one you mentioned, so another option would be to move into Illustrator for that part.

Good luck!
Jesse

I’m making a box cover in photo shop & I need to split the shape in half, for the front & side cover. How do I split or cut a rectangle shape in half.

I thought it was the slice tool but that’s for something else.
I could just draw two halves but I prefer just to split one shape into two halves
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 31, 2007
It can be done, but it’s pretty complicated.

Make your shape. Duplicate it. Go to the Move tool with Show Bounding Box checked. That will give you midpoints that you can use to drag a guide to.

Go back to the Shapes tool and choose the Path icon (middle) Make a rectangular path that intersects the midpoints In the Paths palette Copy that path and Paste it into the rectangles "path layer" (Shape 1 Vector Mask). With the Path Select (solid arrow) selected choose the subtract icon and hit Combine.

Go to the other Shape Layer and repeat, only on the other side. Done.

There may be an easier way, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

NOTE: You can combine them on one Shape Layer by Copy/Paste in the Paths palette.
AM
andre_michael
Feb 1, 2007
I wish you could demonstrate on camtasia or somthing & email me.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 1, 2007
Sorry, no can do. What’s the problem? Have you tried it and gotten hung up somewhere?
JG
Jeff_Gillispie
Feb 2, 2007
Why not just use the same pic for the front and back and then just erase the area you dont need on each side?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections