Posted By
Joyce_Kurtz
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I am a new user of Photoshop elements 2. This is probably a very dumb question to all of you, but I have tried to get the red eye out of a picture and can’t figure it out. I have the hard copy of the book, and have read the instructions to no effect.
Thanks for any help that you can give.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 5, 2004
Hello, Joyce: That isn’t a dumb question at all, because the Red Eye brush is one of Elements 2’s least satisfactory tools. Personally, I’ve pretty much given up on it. There are lots of other ways to do it. One simple way is:

1. Make a duplicate layer of your original (Layer>Duplicate Layer) so you won’t be destroying your original work.
2. With the duplicate layer active, zoom way in on the eye area – like 100% or even 200%.
3. Use the Sponge tool in Desaturate mode, with a small brush size (just a few pixels) and carefully brush over the red in the eye; the color should drain out of it and be replaced with a shade of gray.
4. If you want to see how you’re doing vs. the original image, you can toggle the duplicate layer on and off in the Layers palette.

In most cases, that will leave you with a natural-looking eye; no red, but you’ll still have the specular highlight (white spot in the middle) which is a natural reflection of light off the eye.

This is a start. There’ll be more suggestions from others, I’m guessing.

Hope you’ll enjoy Elements and this forum!

Chuck

wrote in message
Hi,
I am a new user of Photoshop elements 2. This is probably a very dumb
question to all of you, but I have tried to get the red eye out of a picture and can’t figure it out. I have the hard copy of the book, and have read the instructions to no effect.
Thanks for any help that you can give.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
Almost similar to the method Chuck describes.

I zoom in to 200 or 300%, select the red part with a soft brush and desaturate. Next I can always decide wether I prefer make the selection darker and/or add a little colour I pick from a part of the eye that isn’t red.
Everything done on a duplicate layer of course.

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
I do it a litle different ….

For red eye try:

Select the red area plus a few pixels … feather a little. Make a new layer … and do each eye on a separate layer. Enhance>colour>hue & sat> … select red from the edit box and reduce saturation to zero or thereabouts
Enhance>Brightness & contrast>levels .. move the left hand marker in about a third of the way and move the centre marker over to the right until the area goes dark … not too far or it will look artificial.

If you want to change the colour of the iris then select the area and do Enhance>colour>hue & sat … that way you get to keep all of the different shades and it looks much more natural.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 6, 2004
Wendy, that’s an excellent approach! Thanks for sharing it.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks Wendy,

That’s going into my notebook.

Leen,

You mean even the pros get Red eye? 🙂 I guess I wouldn’t expect that with flash attachments and your expertise.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 6, 2004
Mark, I get red eye from that drink you mentioned before….

🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Chuck,

I must try blaming the sitters next time one of them gets red eye 🙂 …

Wendy
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 6, 2004
Even I sometimes have red eyes in my images. This depends on the angle of the flashlight to the axis of the lens. The longer the distance, the smaller the angle. Up to about 6 meters there is no problem, but any further will cause red eyes of people in the background. Especially when shooting with a telephoto lens this occurs.

Leen
JK
Joyce_Kurtz
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks so much for all of your help. I have put them all in my folder that I have made for Photoshop Elements. I very much enjoy reading all of your messeges on all kinds of subjects in the forum.
Joyce
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Joyce,

I too have a little folder and book that I keep tips in.

The best way to learn how to use Elements is just to try things out (Tutorials are good too) then when you get stuck … ask for help. Before too long you find yourself answering questions 🙂 … its amazing how quickly you can pick it up.

Wendy
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 6, 2004
Wendy,

You’re running OS X right? When ever I want to save a tip I use MacJournal. <http://forums.macmentor.org/viewtopic.php?t=2652> Check it out, it makes keeping track of this sort of info really simple. Best of all it’s free! Just select (or Select All from the edit menu) the tip/text you want to put in your journal, from the Safari application menu choose Services>MacJournal>New Entry with Selection. If you’re using the latest development build <http://homepage.mac.com/dschimpf/dev.html> a dialog box will pop up asking you which journal you want the selection to go in to.

It’s really a slick little program and makes saving, organizing and then later finding, this sort of info a breeze.

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks for that info Joe .. I will try it out, it sounds good.

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 6, 2004
Hi Joe, Thank you! I have more stuff that is badly organized all about my desktop and hard drive. Difficult for this old brain to catalog all of it. Especially so many PSE tips and tuts.
So now I have no excuse not to be better organized!
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 6, 2004
Hi, Joe. I read Wendy’s post and was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. 😉

Wendy, it really is great.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections