CO
Posted By
Chuck_O_Wolcott
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Photo Deluxe 2.0 and 4.0 for years using all features. Todays computers lock up with these old programs so I bought Elements 2.0 and Photoshop 6.0.

Photo Deluxe has mostly identical functions as used in Adobe Elements but the names are vastly different.

Does anyone know if there is a cross reference of Photo Deluxe and Adobe Elements function names. This would greatly assist with the transition.

Chuck Wolcott

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 5, 2004
I don’t know of any actual cross-reference, Chuck; although I didn’t Google for one. But Elements is much more robust than the last version of PhotoDeluxe. Matter of fact, for all but a very few functions, you’re probably better off learning Elements than full Photoshop 6, as PE2 is closer to the functionality of Photoshop 7 and CS. Learning it will not lose you any ground in the learning curve should you want to ever jump in with a later version of full Photoshop.

And if you’ll peruse the current offerings and archives at Grant Dixon’s Challenge Site, you’ll quickly see that Elements is fully capable of remarkable work in the hands of a skilled user. There are folks in this forum who output artistic work with Elements that I can’t duplicate after well more than a decade with various iterations of full Photoshop. Being more a technician/service bureau type, I don’t even submit to it — out of my league 🙂

My advice is to start with the Quick Fix dialoge to get started with Elements on a given picture. It gives you several basic image manipulation functions under one interface. Also, pay attention to the Hints and Recipe palettes for a while. And hang out in this forum and search/read the archives for anything about which you want to know the How To of…extremely valuable resource.

I’m sure others will chime in…I just happen to be up
(uncharacteristically) early. Welcome.

M
CO
Chuck_O_Wolcott
Jun 6, 2004
Hi Mac, Thanks for the heads-upÂ…..Chuck Wolcott
I have been taking pics for over 50 years. First color slides in 1953 were Kodachrome ASA 10 (now ISO) About 4,000 slides have been scanned on a Tamarack 2400 film scanner which is very slow but works. I Am currently scanning about 5,000 Kodacolor film images because they keep getting darker and darker and will ultimately be lost.
I have been shooting digital since Christmas 1990 and have three digital cameras with the latest being a Canon EOS Digital Rebel with three lens sets. Now working on CD #13 full of digitals. I have been with computers since they were 4-bit and large enough to walk inside of them. I now upgrade or build modern PCÂ’s for less fortunate students, friends and family usually for free. I have done everything that can be done with Photo Deluxe so old habits and names will need to be replaced. Can Old Dogs Learn New Tricks??? Thanks for the encouragement. Chuck
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 6, 2004
Chuck,

Finally someone who’s been around a bit longer than I have! I didn’t start with computers until they were 8 bit and heaven was having 8k instead of having to cram everything into 4 and the only OS was the boot card.

This Old Dog has been taught lots of new tricks by the good people here. You have the advantage of a good photographic and software background so Elements should just be like getting a better table saw.

Just keep asking and pretty soon you’ll be answering.

Bob
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Chuck,

Welcome … nice to have another Canon Rebel owner onboard 🙂 …

As Bob says keep asking questions and before you know it you will find yourself answering them.

My first home machine (1982) was a BBC Micro … 8 bit with 32K memory !! Wouldn’t be enough to do one entry for the Challenge.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 6, 2004
Wendy: My first was an Atari 800, with a whopping 48 K of memory; believe it was about $750-800 US in 1982; with floppy drive add-ons, printer and other printer interface, it cost about $3000. Amazing what we did at the beginning of this ‘revolution’….!

Chuck S.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 6, 2004
My first computer was a RadioShack Color Computer with 16 K of RAM and a cassette drive for external storage. Then I moved to an IBM-compatible computer with 640 K of RAM and two floppy drives. I really went for it a few months later and bought my first hard drive. I splurged and bought a 20 MB hard drive and thought I was set for life. My, how things do change!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Chuck,

I was just trying to work out how much mine cost:

The Micro was £300, Twin 40/80 switchable drives £400, printer £400 assorted Roms and add ons about £300 …. Wow prices really have gone down.

Jim … you had a 20MB hard prive … sheer luxury 🙂

When you look back .. computers have moved on at such a pace …

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 7, 2004
That 20 MB hard drive is a real eye-opener. A two- or three-layer TIFF image from a 4 megapixel camera will exceed the entire capacity of that drive.

I walk around at my job with a 256 MB drive around my neck…..and it’s the size of a pack of gum!

🙂

Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections