JB
Posted By
Joanne_Burttschell
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Elements 1 and have an Athlon 900. When I installed Elements, I had no problems. Now when I try to change the height or width by backspacing in Print Preview, the program closes and it goes back to the picture in my documents. If I click on Adobe in the taskbar on the bottom, it shows the program but it’s frozen and a Program Error box comes up that says "Photoshop Elements.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error is being created.
OK"
If I check "Scale to Fit Media" or double click on width or height and type in the size I want everything is alright.
I’ve tried reinstalling the program but it hasn’t helped.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2004
Try deleting the Elements Preference folder, which wouldn’t have been deleted with the regular uninstall routine. It requires a manual operation. However, there isn’t a need to uninstall again to get rid of it. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as PSE continues to launch. By the way, some people just can’t get to those keys fast enough, so they have their fingers already poised over the keys before they click the icon.

This is a good place to start the troubleshooting, but if you delete the Preferences and are still having the same problem, repost.
JB
Joanne_Burttschell
Jun 5, 2004
Beth,
I deleted the Settings Folder like you said, but I’m still having the problem. When the program is fully opened, the preference folder is still there.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2004
The Settings folder is supposed to be there, so that’s not unusual. What you did was replace the old one with a new one, but now we know a corrupted folder wasn’t the problem.

When was the last time you did a good job of housecleaning on your computer? That would be another thing to try. A computer in need of maintenance that generate all kinds of unusual behavior in software.

And would you please explain "change the height or width by backspacing in Print Preview", because I can’t envision what you’re trying to do. I never do any changes to size through that window, so it’s probably just something I’m unfamiliar with.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 5, 2004
Whenever I see Athlon processor and crashing problems, I suspect the problem is related to those extension plugins that Adobe added to Elements for Pentium processors. They are not compatible with Athlon. Try renaming the Plug-ins/Extensions folder. Just add a tilde (~) to the name and it will disable it. You find the Extensions folder here: Adobe/Photoshop Elements 2/Plug-ins/Extensions.

Also see Adobe’s support Knowledge Base Document #328567. It says to disable only one of the plug-ins (MMXCore.8bx), but that didn’t work for me. Someone on this forum recommended renaming the Extensions folder and it worked.

Patti
JB
Joanne_Burttschell
Jun 5, 2004
I’m pretty new to Elements I. This is what I’m doing: I get my picture from my documents. Crop it. Enhance the contrast. Click on Preview Print. Change the width on the preview print page so it will fit on a sheet of paper. Print it. Recently, when I when to change the width to 8.25 inches, the program closed and my documents page appeared. Then I clicked on the Adobe program in the taskbar on the bottom and the Elements program page was frozen. And I got the Error message listed above.
I have defraged this week. Run Ad-aware, Spy Bot and Registry First Aid. And reinstalled Elements I.
There are 3 Plug-Ins in the Extensions Folder: Fast Core, MMXCore, and Multi Processor Support. If I rename the extensions folder will I lose the 3 Plug-Ins and not be able to get them back if that is not the problem.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 6, 2004
You’re not deleting the files, Joanne, your just renaming the folder they are in. You can always change the name back if it doens’t help. That’s why I suggested you just put a tilde (~) in front of the name (e.g. ~Extensions). These plug-ins are Intel Pentium accelerators and they don’t do anything for Athlon processor except cause trouble.

Maybe someone can explain further, but that’s what I was told. Meanwhile I’ll see if I can find that thread in the forum.

Patti
JB
Joanne_Burttschell
Jun 6, 2004
Patti, I tried renaming the extension folder. Restarted the computer and it didn’t help. So I renamed the actual plug-ins. Restarted the computer and it didn’t help either. I’ve left it with the extension folder renamed and the FastCore and MMXCore Plug-ins renamed.
I read that MMXCore and FastCore were for Pentium processors, but what does the Multi Processor Support Plug-in do?
Let me know if you find the thread that you saw.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 6, 2004
Joanne, sorry that didn’t work. There must be some other conflict. I’m no techie, I only know that renaming trick worked for me. I couldn’t find that forum thread, but here’s link to the knowledge base article:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f03e.htm>

Maybe it would help if you give more of your computer specs (brand, RAM, etc.) and see if someone else can help.

Patti

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections