Posted By
Cliff_Skidmore
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if using a soft focus filter
with a digital camera will ‘confuse’ auto focus?
Or is it intended only for manual focus? I’m
considering purchasing one.
Thanks for any info.

Cliff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 4, 2004
Cliff,

A quality soft focus filter doesnot affect AF. Unfortunately there is just only one quality soft focus filter, the Carl Zeiss Softars and these are extremely expensive.

Pretty good, quite remarkable, is the Cokin "warmsoft", but this one adds a golden glow to your image. Quite nice, but you ‘ve got to like this tone. I used it quite often -in the days before digital- when covering weddings.

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 4, 2004
Leen, can you modify the warmsoft effect of the Cokin with Elements, or does it take away too much color information to do that effectively?
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jun 5, 2004
Leen

Thanks for the info. For the amount I would use one
it probably isn’t worth the cost.

Cliff
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
Chuck, I never tried to use this filter since I went digital. Probably the auto white balance of the camera might take care of this colour shift.
Might be worth a try.

This is the start of a new question.
Suppose I want to do some B&W work.
Often, in the old days of film, I applied a red filter to produce a dramatic sky. If I am working digital, the effect should be about the same. But what would be the influence of the AWB setting on my image?

If I have some time this weekend it is worth a try.
Anyone a good idea?

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections