Which file do I upload from WEB PHOTO GALLERY?

IB
Posted By
Ian_Bayley
Jan 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have made a photo album using WEB PHOTO GALLERY, and now I need to know which file to upload to my website to make it visible….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 27, 2007
All of them – including the subdirectories. Set your link to open Index.htm
GD
george_dingwall
Jan 27, 2007
Hi Ian,

You need to upload all of the files that were created during the Web Photo Gallery procedure.

You should have these files and folders in the location you specified in the Web Gallery dialog.

Images folder
Pages folder
Thumbnails folder
index.htm
photos.js
photos.xml
UserSelections.txt

The "index.htm" is the web page that your gallery will be displayed in, and the other files and folders contain all of the images and other information necessary for the gallery to display correctly.

The files and folders may vary depending on the gallery you selected, so it is normally best to create the gallery in an empty folder. That way you wont have any trouble identifying the files and folders created by the gallery option.

Hope this helps.
IB
Ian_Bayley
Jan 27, 2007
Thanks……
BR
Bill_Roufs
Jan 28, 2007
I was wondering if renaming the index file to something else would mess things up. I know the links point to it, but can I change them to point to the new name? I already have an index page on my site and just want to add the photo gallery to my existing site. So you’re saying I just copy the whole folder into my website and link the folder/index page to an icon on my site?
KV
Klaas Visser
Jan 28, 2007
I would upload the gallery, unmodified, to a sub-folder on your site, and link to it from your main index page. I find that keeps things a little tidier.
BR
Bill_Roufs
Jan 29, 2007
So just leave the naming convention the same even though I already have an index.html?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 29, 2007
Bill,

You can (and should) have an index.html in every directory on the server.

That is the file which is displayed when the URL points only to the directory and not a file.

Unless the web server is configured to disallow directory listings, even directories that contain only images should have an index.html file to prevent the directory contents being displayed.

(A web server can be configured to accept ANY filename to be the default directory index file, and many are configured to accept a variety of filenames such as index.html, index.shtml, index.php4, default.html, default.asp etc. – in such cases the server looks for the first filename in the list and displays it if found. Otherwise it looks for the next filename in the list etc.)
BR
Bill_Roufs
Jan 29, 2007
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. Len, I’m gonna try that. Since I’m using FP (haven’t switched to Dreamweaver yet, I’ll just drag that photo directory and set it up to display. Thanks
BD
Bev_Dull
Feb 6, 2007
In my photo album file the is one called photos.xml does this one also need to be uploaded to my host site for the page to work right.
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 6, 2007
Yes
BD
Bev_Dull
Feb 6, 2007
Thank you.
HS
Heather_Savage
Jun 28, 2007
Hello ….please can you help on the same topic.

I have created my web gallery and all the files and folders (images, thumbs etc) have been put in one folder which i have named GALLERY. This is currently located on my desk top.

I have designed a web site using MS Publisher www.studio143.co.uk and have a page onn there where i would like to add my gallery/galleries.

Do i put my named folder GALLERY in to the FTP server area where my Index.html files are (my current web site)? And if so – how do i then link the GALLERY files to the correct web page – Do i use a hyper link ? And if so could you guide me step by step for someone who is very new at this. Eg HYPER should be www.studio143.co.uk/index.html/gallery ?????

Please help

Thanks

Heather
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 28, 2007
www.studio143.co.uk is residing on a host server to which you have access.

Upload you Gallery folder to the same place. You can then tell people to go direct to "www.studio143.co.uk/gallery/index.html", or modify your home page so that the "Gallery" button is linked to the index file in the Gallery folder.
HS
Heather_Savage
Jun 29, 2007
Yipppeeeee I’ve manged to finally do it ! It seems i’d transfered all the relevant files to the FTP server bit and created the hyperlink on a page in my existing web site – but the link title was slightly off ! Fixed it with help from all you guys !

Thank you very much

Heather

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections