MR
Posted By
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to updgrade.

How big is the brush in pixels Dan? Adobe aren’t working with CS3 anymore obviously, its the most stable version I’ve ever used so far.

Did you try my suggestion? If its crashing on more than one machine, then most probably its a driver or some other piece of software you installed on all of them thats cramping Photoshops style.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Nov 20, 2008
Downgrade, upgrade, anything is better then CS3. I don’t need an excuse when CS3 crashes ALL the time. I won’t go into the many, many hours of troubleshooting that I went through, including at one point reformatting the hard drive and only installing the OS and CS3. But it really doesn’t matter now. It would be nice though if I could get my money back for the "upgrade" that never worked for me. But like I said, I’ll pawn it off on someone else and hope for some spare cash in these tough economic times.

Mark, to answer your question the brush size is 186 px. A bit large perhaps, but I even remade it at 50 px with no improvement. I have been using that same brush for about 5 yrs now. It works perfectly in every other version including CS4. The only other time that it crashed was in the first release of CS2. Then I helped identify that it was an actual problem with Photoshop, and Adobe released an update that specifically fixed the brush problem.

You are right, I’m sure Adobe doesn’t care about CS3 anymore. I am just happy that they got it right with CS4.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 20, 2008
CS3 is a huge disappointment to me. It crashes every 5 minutes when I use brushes. …I do not think that it is specific to my system

I downloaded the trial version of CS4 and so far it works like a dream. No crashes yet.

By all means upgrade to CS4. That seems to be your preferred solution and it makes much more sense to move forward than to expend more time troubleshooting a legacy app version.

However be aware that CS3 runs bombproof on tens of thousands of boxes, so your reported problems are specific to your systems. If you do want CS3 troubleshooting step one would be to specify your exact system setups in complete detail.
DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Nov 20, 2008
If you say so. I’m not so convinced. It is something with the way CS3 works for it to crash on my and my co-workers systems with regularity. Maybe it is finding some minor fault with our setups, but if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. And all other versions work. So it is the weak link and therefor useless to me.

How many of those thousands of other people use the same custom brush that I do in the same way that I use it? Perhaps there is still a bug but a very specific one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 20, 2008
What do all of the machines that are exhibiting this problem have in common?

Do you all use the same set of Fonts, for example?

How much maintenance is done regularly?

How long is it since you last ran DiskWarrior to repair your Directories?

If CS3 crashes for you (when it never does for me or most others), your experience with CS4 could well be similar to your experience with CS3.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 20, 2008
Dan –

I would look into hardware problems then blaming the software. Look into RAM as well as the Ram sockets on the mother board as a possible problem. Go have the computer checked out. There were a fair amount of defective computers produced by Apple with this issue.

Photoshop is super sensitive to bad hardware.

AND

Go and download the 30 day Demo of PSCS4. If the problem still continues, then you have eliminated some doubt.
DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Nov 20, 2008
Ann, you are right. We should be doing maintenance much more regularly.

Thank you all for your help and for letting me vent. I am DONE with CS3 and will either continue to use CS2 or if I can afford it, CS4. Problem solved. Hope everyone has a happy holiday season.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 20, 2008
Ann has a good point there about Fonts, now THAT’S a reason that it may be crashing on all your machines. Again Dan there’s nothing wrong with CS3, its completely stable and reliable I’ve used it in about 14 different studios this year alone, amd believe me, its OK.
B
Buko
Nov 20, 2008
If CS3 is crashing constantly then there is something wrong with the setup. An upgrade to CS4 may leave you in the same boat as before if its a hardware issue.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 20, 2008
….that’s true, of course. But also if it is a fonts issue (duplicate activated or corrupted).

Neil
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2008
Dan,

It seems I said this before, but I used CS3 from the earliest public beta through many subsequent builds and both public releases. It never crashed on me.

CS4 (trial version) has already unexpectedly quit on me twice, fortunately not with any image open, no big deal.
GB
g_ballard
Nov 20, 2008
Man, you guys, I can crash CS3 (and CS4) Ps consistently in 4-10 layers using fresh nef files, no fonts, no Adj Layers, no Layer effects.

My point is Ps is not rock solid for everyone…and those using 10.4x on PPC boxes don’t compare to 10.5x on Intel boxes.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 20, 2008
I have no experience with CS4 on Leopard but I haven’t seen many reports from others concerning crashes with that combination.

But how are you using .nef files in Photoshop Layers?

Do you not Save your .nefs as tiffs or .psd files (with appropriate resolution and color space) from ACR before trying to place them as Layers?
D
DYP
Nov 21, 2008
I have not mentioned anything so far because I have not really taken the time to examine the situation, read log files, flush caches, eliminate fonts, etc. But given the same setup as I run CS3 in, CS4 has some performance problems that is slowing it down. Watching the CPU usage I find it very low when it gets in it’s slow mode.

As for crashing it definitely crashes more than CS3. The crashing seems to have something to do with the use of third party plugins.

I really need to look at a lot of things before I really start complaining. This is just my initial observation.
B
Buko
Nov 21, 2008
Nik plugins will crash CS4 you need to get the updated ones.
D
DYP
Nov 21, 2008
There are no updated Nik plugins for CS4. Not even betas & and I best say no more. Understand?
B
Buko
Nov 21, 2008
better complain the Windows guys have new CS4 plugins
D
DYP
Nov 21, 2008
You must be confused.
B
Buko
Nov 21, 2008
well that’s what I read on the windows forum.

It appears the problem is with 64bit
D
DYP
Nov 21, 2008
It seems the poor Windows guys are having lots of trouble with the Nik plugins. But what I told you is what I know. I will be testing the current Mac versions.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 21, 2008
What are the advantages of 64 bit over 32 from a practical stand point?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 21, 2008
What are the advantages of 64 bit over 32 from a practical stand point?

Speed and capability and of course the use of much more RAM!

Which is limited in 32 bit and of course more multiprocessing usage.

It is not exctly this will work faster or that will work faster but if this is built in the right way it will fly like the wind and if it is not it might still fly faster.

If it is built to work on 64 bit and you work with it on 32 bit well you won’t get much more out of it.

So that is what you get more capability plus progrms that can be designed to take advantage of the expanded capabilities will function as you expect faster more stable and doing things that might not function well at all in 32 bit.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 21, 2008
D
DYP
Nov 21, 2008
Neil

It does appear you are right. Must be real miner updates thought. I am testing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 21, 2008
Must be real miner updates thought.

Meaning digging deeply into the nitty-gritty?

8/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections