MO
Posted By
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone post a supporting argument for the current behavior (design or bug).

It is an unfortunate act of how screwed up things are.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 18, 2008
This is not a bug – this is a forced requirement.

The profile used in 32 bit/channel is linear (gamma 1.0) and inappropriate for 8/16 bit content (and many overranged profiles are REALLY inappropriate). We might be able to prompt the user for the target profile when converting – but the profiles cannot be preserved. This is just like converting RGB to CMYK – the old profile no longer applies.
PF
Peter_Figen
Nov 18, 2008
It seems like there ought to be a way to automatically convert back to the original source profile instead of what happens to be loaded in Color Settings.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 18, 2008
yep –

See how forced requirements turn into workflows for good reasons?

And another reason for the ozmosis color model. I get it and so will everyone if you just take the time.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 18, 2008
Peter –

it’s the same situation when you do a CMYK to Multichannel to CMYK transformation. The application can’t have color space memory. The logic makes sense from a certain stand point, the implementation does not. It needs to change Chris. All of this is far too confusing and will get worse with every build.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 18, 2008
Peter – please define "original source profile"?

We can’t use the 32 bit profile, and we can’t track the entire history of your document.
PF
Peter_Figen
Nov 18, 2008
In Steven’s case, it was ProPhoto RGB. He converted a ProPhotoRGB to 32 bit for his operations and when bringing it back to 16 bit is when it went straight to working space. Is there no way that can be tracked from the point of the 32 bit conversion?

I’m glad Steven has brought this to everyone’s attention. It’s a little like going back to Ps5 and its implementation – as long as you’re aware of what’s going on, you can deal with it, but it seems to add an extra layer of complexity to keep in mind.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 18, 2008
Peter – it could only be tracked in the simplest case ( 8->32->8 ). Saving and reopening, playing with smart objects, etc. could make it untrackable.

This is more like "why don’t my colors look the same after converting to CMYK" — there is a certain minimal level of knowledge needed to work with the tools. We’ve documented the process, but we can’t force everyone to appreciate all the consequences of their actions.
B
Buko
Nov 18, 2008
well if you want to work in ProPhotoRGB and go 32bit then you need to make sure that you are in the ProPhoto workspace to begin with.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 18, 2008
Maybe someone in marketing would understand.
B
BinaryFX
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks to all for the replies to the original topic.

Chris, thanks – after I discovered this behaviour in CS3 and CS4 on Mac or PC I had the feeling that it was then a design limitation rather than a bug, you wrote:

This is more like "why don’t my colors look the same after converting to CMYK" — there is a certain minimal level of knowledge needed to work with the tools. We’ve documented the process, but we can’t force everyone to appreciate all the consequences of their actions. <

I have looked for any documentation and or mention of this behaviour, yet I can’t find it. Please point out the user help guide reference, online help reference and knowledge base link/s (which I have searched for without luck).

The first documentation that I saw was when I posted this topic and I get the impression that others are in the same position as this is news to them too (are we all missing the obvious bold 72pt text?).

I have not been on the pre-release team since CS, I would like to think that I would have raised this issue particular earlier if I was still involved in the pre-release testing (who should I contact to get back on the list?).

Respectfully,

Stephen Marsh
PF
Peter_Figen
Nov 19, 2008
For me personally, it’s usually enough just knowing and remembering what the behavior is, as I’m constantly working in multiple color spaces, assigning false profiles and doing whatever is needed to make the image work. Unfortunately there is far too much confusion among even so called experts and anything that adds to that anywhere along the line only ends up causing me grief at some point or another. To be certain, there probably aren’t alot of people doing what Stephen is here, but it’s certainly good to know.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 19, 2008
Unfortunately there is far too much confusion among even so called experts

yep.

I see it very clearly now.

Globalization as an option as the masses merge into sanity. Until then, I will sit back an watch Rome fall. Fitting actually if nothing is done.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections