Can you Ignore Embedded Digital File Info?

MC
Posted By
Melanie_Crutchfield
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to have Photoshop ignore the embedded information—specifically in-camera rotation data—when it opens digital camera files. The difficulty I’m having is that I have an action script that opens files up and then saves them off for use with another application. Since Photoshop is recognizing the embedded rotation information, it will take a horizontal file, see that in camera it is indicated that it should be a vertical file and it’ll open it in that orientation (vertical). When Photoshop saves the file, it has effectively rotated the file.

The other application that I am using does NOT recognize this embedded information and, therefore, has a conflict with the saved off Photoshop files. This results in the application squishing the now vertical files into a horizontal space.

The set of files I discovered this with were Cannon files, and Cannon says there’s no way to strip the file of the info after the shot is taken (you can turn it off in camera), so I’m left trying to see if PS can ignore the data. I assume the same thing is happening with other digital cameras as well as I’ve seen this a good bit with files from a variety of people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections