Deliberate change to the Options bar in CS4, or bug?

KL
Posted By
Kurt_Lang
Nov 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In CS3, the Options bar would not allow you to slide an image window underneath it (a good thing) and snap the title bar back down below it if you tried. CS4 doesn’t do that. An image will remain underneath it. This also causes a problem with the Coco filter. If you happen to drag its image window under the Options bar, it immediately disappears, forcing you to press Command+. to back out of the filter and relaunch it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Nov 5, 2008
just grab the options bar and pull it down so you can retrieve the image. then put it back. I think this behavior is due to the introduction of the application frame.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 5, 2008
Probably because they now have the application frame.

This might be a better way for you to work.

I configure the bridge so I can bring it to the front and then access directories and the desktop without dismissing the frame. i have a request in to make the frame Multi application so you can have a=say an Illustrator document and a Photoshop and a AE project all opened at the same tie and all tabbed.

Hit the table it changes your tools and menu bar.

Anyway here is how I have to configured along with the bridge, this works a little better with AI which allows you to drag and drop from the bridge and the finder.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1LGmupFe2fUgMmV5Rd t6GwP66AbNK90>
KL
Kurt_Lang
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks. Actually, it’s not a big deal at all in Photoshop itself. Any image command will snap a picture back out from underneath; Command++, Command+-, Command+0, etc. It’s much more of an issue with third party filters like Coco that are trying to follow CS3’s rules and glitch under CS4.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 5, 2008
That is why I suggest the frame which will keep things focus plus you have the other advantages of the frame. In case you do have to move thing around.

With the frame the document will stay focused.

I am not certain it is a bug but hopefully for the next version it will not matter.

And hopefully Photoshop will have drag and drop from the bridge or finder
P
PeterK.
Nov 5, 2008
Actually coco did this with previous versions of photoshop too, so it’s not version specific, and probably the filter maker’s bug.
KL
Kurt_Lang
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks Wade, but I don’t like the Application Frame. I prefer the Mac’s floating application approach. Maybe there is one, but I don’t see any use for the Application Frame other than to give Windows users a program environment they’re used to seeing.

PeterK.

Yes, Coco did do that with earlier versions, but they did fix it with version 4.x so that it worked properly in CS3. Its image window did indeed snap back down under the Options bar as it should. It’s now broken in CS4.

What Coco used to do though was not have the image window literally disappear altogether, as it does in CS4, but the title bar of the image would get lost under the Options bar with no way to pull it back down. The makers of Coco are probably going to have to update the filter once again to subscribe to CS4’s new windowing rules. I did create a new ticket on their web site noting the issue.
R
Ram
Nov 6, 2008
The makers of Coco are probably going to have to update the filter once again to subscribe to CS4’s new windowing rules.

For a $500 plug-in, that should have been done already. :/
KL
Kurt_Lang
Nov 6, 2008
Ha! Yes, you would think so, Ramón. 🙂 Aurelon does tend to be pretty slow updating or fixing things.

It is a darn expensive filter, considering it does just one thing, but I do use it on practically every image I work on. I’m from the old retouching school where you learned on the job since there wasn’t anywhere that taught digital retouching and color. I always thought that the Color Correction tool on the Scitex work stations was fabulous. This filter does a great job replicating it, with the bonus of being able to do more than one color correction at a time.

Anyway, I did discover that if you use only the Command+ or Command- keys to increase or decrease the size of the image window, it does properly stay below the Options bar. It’s only when you manually drag the window underneath with the mouse that it disappears.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections