K
Posted By
KimWilson
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to be able to scan in pictures (the pictures are pretty good and won’t need alot of editing) and be able to crop them in fancy ways – Does PS allow me to crop in shapes other than squares/rectangles? I’m looking at album to then make calendars/greeting cards. If PS doesn’t meet my cropping needs – does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 2, 2004
Photoshop Elements will allow you to crop in any shape you like; you’re pretty much limited only by your imagination. As far as cropping goes, PE 2 is extremely versatile. For example, you could take a picture of a flower and use it as the shape of your crop.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 2, 2004
True cropping is only rectangular in Photoshop Elements. You can ‘cut a hole’ of any shape in the rectangle to view a picture below, but the resultant picture is always a rectangle.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 2, 2004
The image itself is cropped into a rectangle – and that is true of all the photoediting programs that I know. What you can do is use transparency (if you are saving to a format such as tif of gif which supports it ) or match the background colour (using formats such as jpeg) so that the image prints out or displays on the web so that it looks as if it has been cropped into a fancy shape.

Susan S
Edit – you beat me Chuck!
K
KimWilson
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks for your feedback – are you all agreeing? or is Mark saying something different?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 2, 2004
Kim, everyone is right. Buy the program and you know where to find us if you need help.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 2, 2004
Kim

There is not a piece of software that will allow you to crop anyway other than a rectangle. This has to do with how images are being stored. Elements and many pieces of software will allow you to create all sorts of "crop" shapes but in the end they will all end up as rectangles. So while a cropped photograph might be in an oval shape the finished file will be a rectangle. If the background you are displaying it on is not the same colour as the border of your image it will show up as an oval inside a rectangle.

Grant

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections