VF
Posted By
Vivian_Fields
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Dell monitor, and I don’t know what phosphors to put in, or what numbers to use for custom phosphors when calibrating Adobe gamma wizard. I’m using windows XP. Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Jun 2, 2004
Vivian,
That detail alone may not be very important. There is a good tutorial on the Adobe Gamma Wizard at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> . Follow it succesfully and you’ll do all right.

🙂

Brent
AR
Andrew Rodney
Jun 2, 2004
Adobe Gamma was never made to deal with LCDs (they don’t have Phosphors). If you can afford an inexpensive colorimeter ($200) like the EyeOne from GretagMacbeth, you’ll get MUCH better results over the entire life of the display.
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 2, 2004
Vivian,
If your monitor is an LCD, there is a different procedure in Adobe Gamma for dealing with it. You’ll need the OEM factory supplied profile, and use it as the basis for your profile.

🙂

Brent
O
o3v3tz
Jun 2, 2004
Brent,

This is really interesting information.

I had totally dismissed Adobe Gamma for LCDs.

I guess that I need to go digging to find where my OEM factory supplied profile is on my Windows XP Home system. I have an NEC LCD1765. Any suggestions ?

Barbara
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 2, 2004
Profile locations:-
Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Me – folder named windows/system/color Windows 2000 and XP – sub-folder named system32/spool/drivers/color Mac OS9.x – ColorSync profiles are located in the System Folder/ColorSync Profiles folder Mac OSX – ColorSync profiles are located in the Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder

If you can’t find the profile, perhaps the NEC site can oblige . Note that Andrew Rodney’s comment is very correct. A hardware calibrator will yield a better profile than the OEM profile, PLUS,and more importantly, you can re-profile your display as the components degrade ( though LCD’s do not degrade in the same fashion or at the same rate as a CRT ). However, for those not purchasing a hardware solution, "massaging" the OEM profile through the Adobe Gamma utility is the official way to go for an LCD display.

🙂

Brent
O
o3v3tz
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks Brent.

Barbara

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections