Posted By
Pat
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m learning PS on my own.

After having read and completed all of the lessons from Adobe Photoshop CS2, "Classroom in a Book", I’m currently going through the lessons in Katrin Eismann’s "Restoration and Retouching".

I’m stuck on one of the lessons on page 60. The objective is to improve the tone and contrast of an old faded photograph. The photograph is a boy on a very dark horse.

The steps to improve the photograph are to add multiple hard light level adjustment layers. I’m okay there.

The problem is where she says to use a large, black, soft-edged brush to paint over the pony on the Levers layer mask (painting with black conceals the contrast) on the third level. No instructions are given on how to do this.

I’ve learned how to use masks in simple assignments and none of the tutorials I’ve come across address masks in this fashion. I’m guessing that it’s so obvious she didn’t feel it was necessary to elaborate.

What steps are necessary to create this mask that’s described?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Pat
Jan 25, 2007
Pat wrote:
I’m learning PS on my own.

Yes, the solution was that obvious. Taking a break and eating something helped.

BTW: Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann is a great book. Well written, understandable with meaningful projects. And, not once has she said "Easy", "Simple" or "Intuitive" that is de rigueur in most tutorials.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections