New Macs on the horizon, wait or buy now?

P
Posted By
ps1
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
<http://www.macrumors.com/>:

Intel has confirmed that they will be delivering the first of the Nehalem (Core i7) processors to customers in November with expectations pointing to the 17th. The Core i7 represents a significant architectural improvement over the Core 2 Duos used in existing Macs. The exact rollout of these chips remains a bit unclear. The first processors to be released in November are said to be high end Desktop versions of the processor. Apple, however, has traditionally used Intel’s server-class processors for the Mac Pro rather than the desktop versions…

While this should be a good marker for performance improvements coming to the Mac Pro, it’s still not clear when Intel will be introducing the appropriate server-class (Xeon) versions of Nehalem. Apple has traditionally used Intel’s Xeon chips for their Mac Pros which are due to be updated.

I’m looking at the 2.8 quad-core Mac Pro, but the above has given me pause. Would the new *Core i7* necessarily mean that third-party RAM would have to be updated, or would the current sticks (for the quad-core) still work in the new?

I’m probably still leaning to the current Mac Pro as I don’t know how long it will be ’til the new models come out and I usually wait a while after anything new comes out for others to be the beta testers, see if there’s bugs in the latest and greatest.

Still it makes the decision that much harder…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SV
Stevie_V
Nov 3, 2008
You’re always 6 months away from having outdated equipment, if you need a new computer now just buy the biggest you can afford and carry on working, if you’re just fantasizing about what you might buy next, then wait and see.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 3, 2008
Existing MPs are great computers; even the 2006 models remain excellent boxes. But a substantial tech evolution of graphics tower componentry has occurred such that the next towers should real-world perform at least 50% stronger overall on graphics apps. 50% is a lot, and OS 10.6 and available 2009 RAM and graphics cards will likely provide further performance synergy going forward.

IMO existing Mac Pros are so good that there is not a lot of pressure for Apple to rush to release new MPs. Q4 2008 is possible but IMO Q1 2009 is more likely, and (depending on how bad Apple sees the economy as well as how Snow Leopard and new MPs integrate) Q2 2009 is even possible.

IMO January (Mac Expo SF) and/or OS 10.6 (expected June at WWDC) is the earliest that anyone with a currently good working system should consider upgrading to Mac Pro – – – unless a 2006 MP deal is too good to pass up :).

Note the important qualification "anyone with a currently good working system." If one needs a new box now just find a value MP, buy it today and enjoy.
B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
I’m going to wait until there is a snow leopard in the picture.
P
PShock
Nov 3, 2008

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections