IS
Posted By
iain_simpson
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have bought Elements and it’s fine for creating images for the web. However I cannot find a way of drawing a simple outline of an object. I wish to create a simple map of an area using a scanned map as a base. I want to be able to draw a simplified version and then adjust and edit the lines produced. I know I can do this with Corel Draw. Can I do something similar with Elements ?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 1, 2004
IAIN,
1. Bring down layers palette
2. open image (map), click on triangle upper right of layers palette, then click duplicate layer
3. Shut off visibility of background layer by clicking on eye icon. The background copy layer is now the active layer
4. Create a new (blank) layer
5. Select a paint brush, let us say 5 px. Now with your new layer active, trace the map contour. The tracing will be in the foreground color which you have selected; by choosing different colors you can "paint" the map to your specifications.
6. You can use the type tool to type horizontally or vertically. Note that the text will be on a separate layer, and using the move tool you can position things.
Hope that this helps.
Ken
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
You can draw with the line tool, click, drag and then release, but all your lines will go on different layers. You might adjust them individually, but not as a whole I’m afraid.

Photoshop Elements doesn’t have the Pen tool like CorelDraw. Photoshop has, however, a Pen Tool that could serve your needs.

Ray
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 1, 2004
Elements does have a pencil tool which can also erase an error, by clicking on "auto erase", in box on upper right. Several options in this program.
Ken
IS
iain_simpson
Jun 1, 2004
Thanks for replies. Kenneth’s solution is fine for someone who can draw with a steady hand(mouse)! Ray has confirmed that Elements cannot do what Corel does. I’ve found that you can keep all the lines on one layer by clicking the ‘Add to shape area’ however editing the lines is not intuitive!
Iain
PD
Pete_D
Jun 2, 2004
This may or may not be what you are looking for but this is how I would trace the outline of an object like a map of a State;

Use the magic wand to select the area targeted for outline Create a new layer (Layer/New/Via Copy if you want to preserve the original).
Click the eye of the original layer to hide it.
Select the new layer again and go to edit/stroke and set color to black and line width to maybe 3px. That gives the outline of the selected area. If you want to get rid of any color inside the line select the area again (Control click the layer) and hit delete.
All that is left is a black line drawing of the outline.

Edit as desired by erasing and replacing lines with 3px black pencil or paint brush.

Pete

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections