AG
Posted By
Andre_Garmatz
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So, I just installed CS4 on my Mac Pro Intel dual 2.66Ghz/4gb Ram/10.5.5/NVidia 7300.

I was wondering if there would be a significant difference if I would change the video card to a, say, NVidia GEForce 8800? What would be the areas that I would see a significant difference in performance?

Sorry by my ignorance, but I don’t use any 3D graphics program or anything like that and never found a reason to change the graphics card on my computer up until now.

Thanks in advance!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 3, 2008
In the case of your circumstance not a whole lot but here is what you will gin as i have the same MacPro and changed to the 8800 card recently. I was able to open 8 Open GL documents with the 7300 card. That was not quite enough for me I needed about 12 to be opened sometimes.

the 8800 allows me to open 15 of the files that I generally work with during many retouching or composing projects.

THe features that you get are things like rotating the canvas and really cool feature that can make things more accurate save your wrist some wear and tear and the dynamic zoom feature also a time saver an the panning.

Might not sound like a lot but being able to resize the canvas in a smooth zooming in fashion and the stopping when you get to the exact right view is a big tie saver. It zooms in and out like a movie camera.

Rotating the canvas by dragging to any angle is very important to me for retouching.

those are the features i can think of that will impact your work flow.
AG
Andre_Garmatz
Nov 3, 2008
Hi Wade,

Thanks for your response!

I actually get the rotating canvas already, and I agree with you in being a wrist saver… That works fine with my 7300, I don’t know if I need the extra opened documents as I normally don’t have more than 3 opened. Would I get any other advantage, like, maybe faster redrawing (sometimes when I zoom in or out on an image that has many layers it takes maybe half a second to redraw it again – not that that’s terrible, but just that I noticed it)

Thanks once again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections