KH
Posted By
Keith_Hodges
May 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking to clean up some old photos.
I need them for a personal photo alblum.
Is there a service that anyone knows of.
I see now this editing stuff is not for me.
I just want results.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JP
JoAnn_Paules
May 31, 2004
Check your local Yellow Pages.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
I am looking to clean up some old photos.
I need them for a personal photo alblum.
Is there a service that anyone knows of.
I see now this editing stuff is not for me.
I just want results.

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 – Release Date: 5/28/2004
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
And professional photoediting won’t be cheap. Just how much work do these pictures need Keith? Do you ahve any examples to demonstrate just how much work is involved? I’d be willing to have a go, but I’m probably on a different continent to you!

Susan S
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 1, 2004
Hi Keith, This is what PSE is all about! It is the greatest photo cleaner_editor_what ever you callit program that you can buy!
All you have to do is learn just a little about it, ask questions here, look thru the books, but above all, just open one of your photos(and make a duplicate of it) and just try everything. Play with the program, take a class!
You wont believe what you can do with it. Dont give up before you even start. Hey, it is fun, and you will learn how to edit and correct photos that you would think to throw away. Just look at the 40 year old underwater photos that I had and almost tossed, PSE will make them come alive.
Jane
O
o3v3tz
Jun 1, 2004
I will second Jane’s comment. I was amazed at what just adjusting the contrast did to one sepia photo from about 1916.

We did have some family photos that were gifts done at a local photo lab and I will agree with the expensive part.

One approach is to do what you can with Elements and then pay to have the most difficult and the most important photos done by a professional. That said I will leave the specifics to the experts on this forum as I am just learning Elements myself.

Barbara
O
o3v3tz
Jun 1, 2004
Another thought

Since you said they are old photos, I wonder if you have already scanned them…

One alternative that I considered but then decided not to do is to buy a Microtek (or other brand scanner) that has Digital Ice which claims to "restore them while you scan".

These scanners are more expensive than other scanners but could result in an overall lower cost if a sufficient percentage of the photos did not need to be professionally touched up.

Can someone else on the forum give Keith feedback on actually using one of the Digital Ice scanners ?

Barbara
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 1, 2004
Keith…..

One web site that may interest you is RetouchPro. You’ll find advice on how to do it your self or you may even find someone.

I’m learning Restoration, Katrin Eismans book in one hand, mouse in the other. It’s better than jig saw puzzles.

I’m always looking for work to practise on, I wouldn’t mind taking a shot, but no guarantees.

Alternatively, how about making this a Challenge. A few of us take a shot at it and compare results and notes.

Colin.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections