K
Posted By
Kal525
Jan 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is not a "save for web" EXIF stripping problem like the ones I’ve read about on various forums. I believe I have found a unique problem that is frustrating me to no end. I will start from the beginning…

I do mostly HDR photography which involves combining multiple exposures. The software I use to do this, Photomatix, strips the EXIF data. In order to replace the EXIF data, I take the first RAW file in the sequence I used to create the HDR shot, and save it as a jpeg file via Photoshop. The EXIF data for this jpeg file displays perfectly. I then extract the exif data with Photoshop into an xmp file by going to file –> file info –> advanced –> save. This creates an xmp file with all the data from the original shot.

Next I open the jpeg HDR file (generated by combining exposures in Photomatix, editing in Photoshop, then saving as a jpeg) and go to the same advanced file properties window. I hold the option button (alt) and click the "delete all" button for all the EXIF properties. I then hold the option button again (alt) and click on "replace all" and load the xmp file from the RAW –> jpeg file I saved earlier. All the correct EXIF data then displays perfectly in Photoshop, but when I try to view the EXIF data in ANY other program, it is not there. I have just spent 2 hours scouring the internet for a solution to this problem but can find none. I am hoping someone on these forums has encountered this problem and found a solution. I’d appreciate any help you can offer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 22, 2007
Can’t help you with the problem. But, would like to know the purpose of using EXIF meta-data with a file that that data no longer matches. The exposure information and a lot of other stuff no longer applies to the HDR image, so why bother?

Robert

Do not assume that because I didn’t reply to your comments that you are correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You can assume that you bore me!
K
Kal525
Jan 22, 2007
The purpose is to preserve things that do stay constant in the image, such as camera make, model, and aperture. I personally also want to keep the date and time shot of the first image in the sequence for organizational purposes. The only way I have found to modify exif data that will render it readable is through 3rd party software or by copying and pasting an image onto one with proper exif data, then merging the layers. Is there a reason why the xmp replace feature in photoshop renders the exif data unreadable by other programs?
N
nospam
Jan 22, 2007
Adobe has this irritating habit of enforcing standards, even when a standard has been largely ignored by the industry. I’m pretty sure, with EXIF data that a non-standard way of storing it has became the de facto standard, and Adobe as usual isn’t catering to this format. Their method is probably "correct", according to their strict spec, but not very useful in the real world.

I’d recommend using EXIFER or similar utility to save and re-add your EXIF data.

wrote in message
The purpose is to preserve things that do stay constant in the image, such as camera make, model, and aperture. I personally also
want to keep the date and time shot of the first image in the sequence for organizational purposes. The only way I have found to
modify exif data that will render it readable is through 3rd party software or by copying and pasting an image onto one with proper
exif data, then merging the layers. Is there a reason why the xmp replace feature in photoshop renders the exif data unreadable by
other programs?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections