TE
Posted By
Todd_Egeler
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone else had Elements crash when trying to apply the Shear Filter? No reason is given other than, "The application has unexpectedly quit" alert. No other problems. G3 Blue & White, 10.3.4, 512 RAM

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 29, 2004
Todd,

Does it happen every time you use the Shear Filter? and have you tried deleting the prefs?.

I haven’t heard of this happening before in Elements but I have heard of a similar thing happening in Photoshop .. try deleting prefs first and lets see if that cures it … if not hopefully someone may have another idea ..

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
May 29, 2004
I had this happen very recently in Elements – deleting preferences (hold down the shift-option and command keys as you start up Elements, and answer OK to the dialogue box that should appear) fixed it up.
Susan S
JC
Jane Carter
May 29, 2004
I had this happen last year, I tried everything, absolutely everything, and nothing worked. Remembered that I had Photoshop 4 on an old Mac, and went into it and took the Shear filter out of it, moved it over to my PSE Mac, took the PSE Shear filter out, stuck it in the trash, and put the old Photoshop one from V. 4 in to the PSE. Restarted the computer, and now I have Shear.
I guess that one filter was corrupt. There must be something about this particular filter that is vulnerable to trouble.
I found that I could not e-mail the filter to my other Mac, so I took a Firewire cable and did the Target Disk Mode thing to get it across. Or you could do it with an external HD, or one of those little USB flash memory thingies.
Good luck, I am sure that this will fix it for you.
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 29, 2004
There was a thread on the Photoshop forum about a filter (I can’t remember the name) crashing the software. The trick was to purge the clipboard before using it (Edit / Purge / Clipboard). And it worked fine afterwards.

Try it for the shear filter, it might just work!

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 29, 2004
Ah Ray,

That was the one I was thinking about… but I couldn’t remember the details. Must be old age!! 🙂

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
May 29, 2004
I could put a copy of my Shear filter on a CD and mail it to you if you can’t get one out of a Mac near you.
Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections