Posted By
graham_farnell
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi guys and gals,
I am looking to compress some photos from there normal size 1280 x ? i have taken them with a digital camera nikon coolpics 4300 and want to up load some images to a web site but the images have to be small in size to fit on the site, and has to be smaller than 1076 x ? in size, one of the other guys doing the same compresses with photo paint program and then uploads i don’t have the same package but i would like to know if it can be done with adobe elements 2, i would think so but i cannot find the way, i dont want to cut the photos down in size as i would like the person looking at them to get the same quality when they view them with whatever program they use to view, i want to save them as jpg files so they can be viewed universally, can anyone help please?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DG
David G House
May 28, 2004
Graham…

Go to Image>Resize

then if you want to keep the original as its original size untouched do a "Save As" and make it a copy..

David

P.S.

With your Nikon Coolpix.. did the Elements 2.0 come as the package? and did you also get the "Nikon Viewer", that Viewing Program has a Compression built into it… if you do just click the Envelope on the Menu Bar (Nikon Viewer)and follow the "Compression for E-mail" instructions…
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 28, 2004
Graham

Viewing and compressing for the web is always a problem and Elements has a great tool in "Save for Web". This is found on the main menu files or <Alt> + <Shift> + <Control> + S. The final choice and file size is totally up to you but here is what I have found that works best.

Consider that the vast majority of people will be viewing you images with a browser that is at least 800×600 and a colour space of High Colour (16 bit). In fact the majority, although not the vast majority, will be viewing with 1024x 768 and True Colour (24-32 bit). If you use this as a guide-line then a image should not be larger than 800×600. I tend to like to have space for my images so I have restricted my site to 600×400 but then that is just the way I like it.

Now to file size most people now have some form of high speed connection but there are a significant number still using dialup. Remembering we all don’t live within high speed lines it is best to keep the images a little smaller than one would be tempted to. If you only put one image to the page then a 100k or less, while still heavy for dial up, is not a big pain if they are worth the wait. If you have many images then use thumb nails and allow the viewer to choose what they want to see.

These are just my thoughts and if you are curious as to how I implement then here is a link to one of my latest projects.
http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/POD/index.html

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections