Posted By
ross_brunton
Jan 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Does anyone have a SIMPLE answer for this question I have?….

I currently run Photoshop CS2 with Image Ready as well as Dreamweaver 8. I bought XP Pro and can get a copy of Vista Business free with my voucher.

a) Do I use 32-bit or 64-bit Vista
b) Will everything still run under Vista and 64-bit Vista?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ross

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Matthew Cavagnaro
Jan 18, 2007
Hi Ross,

It depends what kind of CPU you have. If you have a 32-bit CPU, you want 32-bit. If you have a 64-bit CPU, you want 64-bit. To find out which kind you have, right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", and at the bottom of that window it will list your processor. If it is any kind if Intel Pentium, you are 32-bit. If it is an AMD, you are almost definitely 64-bit.

Your applications that you currently have (which are designed for 32-bit) will run on either 32-bit or 64-bit Vista just fine.

wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a SIMPLE answer for this question I have?….
I currently run Photoshop CS2 with Image Ready as well as Dreamweaver 8. I bought XP Pro and can get a copy of Vista Business free with my voucher.

a) Do I use 32-bit or 64-bit Vista
b) Will everything still run under Vista and 64-bit Vista?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Ross
RL
roger_leale
Jan 19, 2007
Hi Ross,
My CS2 and the CS3 Beta run well in Vista RC1 32 bit. I don’t know about under Vista 64 bit yet, I am waiting for the release to sale.
RB
ross_brunton
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks fella, the reason I ask is I dont know whether to get the 64-bit version or 32-bit version of Vista and I need to do it soon. My main concern is that my main programs: photoshop cs, dreamweaver and my camera programs wont work in 64-bit. I need to decide soon I think. If you hear anything please let me know. Thanks, Ross
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 20, 2007
Photoshop might work under a 64-bit OS but it is not a 64-bit program!

<http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html>
RL
roger_leale
Jan 20, 2007
Hi Ross,

As a result of a trial installation of Vista RC1 64 bit which I tried last night and this morning, I would advise you to go for the 32 bit Vista.
It installed apparently OK, then downloaded and installed an updated graphics driver together with a couple of security updates. Shut down to finish the update installs – no boot. Had to do a safe mode start and roll back the graphics driver. I tried to install Live OneCare then, it started, stopped and said it could not be installed because it wasn’t a Windows OS! It would not accept the latest nVidia driver for Vista to replace the basic VGA driver that Vista had installed, and wouldn’t let me install the driver for my Samtron monitor.
I gave up then and decided to buy a 32 bit Vista, at least I know that Bridge and CS3 run normally on that.
Roger

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections