ThomasKroljic
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently started to use PhotoShop Elements 2.0
I have a HP PhotoSmart S20 scanner.

I am a little confused as to the best method for scanning B&W 35mm negatives. If I open Photoshop and select import and select the appropriate scanner I notice 3 things that appear on the status bar on the bottom of Photoshop. It first will say "Import: Twain Acquire", Next it will say "Watermark", and then final I get a dialog box that says "This document is in an unsupported color mode and will be converted".

I have no idea what this means. Can someone explain this?

I also noticed that the scanned negative in Photoshop has 3 channels (RGB). If I scan the negative outside of Photoshop and save it as a TIFF file and then open it in Photoshop, the image will only have 1 channel (indexed color). What does this mean?

Can someone give me pointers on what would be the best method/process for scanning B&W 35mm negative with the HP PhotoSmart Scanner and Photoshop Elements. I’d like to eventually print out 4×6 or 8×10 prints (from a professional printer) that I can sell. So I’m looking for great resolution and sharpness.

Any quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Thomas Kroljic

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 26, 2004
unsupported color mode and will be converted".

Who knows, maybe CMYK, or something else. Needs to be RGB.

1 channel (indexed color). What does this mean?

Means 256 colors max as opposed to 17 million.
You are obviously doing something different with settings between scanning into Elements and scanning standalone with the HP software.

You can scan B/W directly to grayscale or to RGB color. The RGB, even though the image is grayscale, will give you lots more options for tweaking/rendering.

Not that there are specific instructions for your scanner, but scantips.com is one of THE places for newbie (and not so newbie) scanner users.

Also, the UseNet group comp.periphs.scanners is a valuable resource.

Mac
T
ThomasKroljic
May 27, 2004
Mac,
Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, scanning the B&W negative under RGB color is the best way to go. This automatically occurs if I open Photoshop Elements and select import…then scan the negative.

I’ll definetely check out the two websites you mentioned.

Thanks,

Thomas J. Kroljic
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 27, 2004
UseNet NewsGroup comp.periphs.scanners is not a "website". But can be accessed through Google Groups on the web.

Mac
BB
brent_bertram
May 30, 2004
"This document is in an unsupported color mode and will be converted".

This probably means you scanned it in 16 bit RGB and Elements converts those images to 8 bit RGB , with the above message.

🙂

Brent

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections