GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just watched the "Girl with a Pearl Earring" a movie about a young girl that becomes a maid in the house of Johannes Vermeer. She finally becomes the model for his most famous of masterpieces. The movie is stunningly photographed, beautifully scored and with a slow methodical build up you feel like you are experiencing a masterpiece as it is made. I do highly recommend the movie for its stunning beauty. It is as if every shot is as if it were choreographed by Vermeer himself. For those of historical bent I can only imagine that 17th century Delft felt exactly like this.

g.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobHill
May 21, 2004
Who made the movie, Grant?

Bob
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 21, 2004
Woops sorry here are some of the particulars

Directed by
——————
Peter Webber

Writing credits
——————
Tracy Chevalier (novel)
Olivia Hetreed (screenplay

Top cast
——————
Colin Firth…. Vermeer
Scarlett Johansson…. Griet

Original Music by
——————
Alexandre Desplat

Cinematography by
——————
Eduardo Serra (director of photography)
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
I don’t know how to say this… Is this an ‘old’ movie or a recent release ?

Ray
B
BobHill
May 21, 2004
Thanks for the information, Grant. I see there is a trailer available to view here <http://www.girlwithapearlearringmovie.com/>

Bob
B
BobHill
May 21, 2004
Recent (2003 release) and had three Academy Award Nominations. There is a DVD out of it.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
Thanks Bob 🙂

Ray
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 21, 2004
Yes, I just saw the DVD. I really liked it even though there wasn’t any sex or violence. I knew I’d like it because of the setting and scenery of ?th century Italy. Can’t remember the city either.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 21, 2004
Mark

It was the 17th Century and I strongly suspect it was Holland as Johannes Vermeer live and worked in Delft. The city has been in Holland for as long as there has been a Holland. Delft also has a canals like another city in Italy who’s name eludes me. 😉 Leen how close are you to Delft and do you know if the movie was shot there?

g.
LK
Leen_Koper
May 21, 2004
I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I have seen Delft quite often. It is about 60 miles from where I live and, like many old Dutch cities, it has this wonderful atmosphere, especially on early Sunday mornings when everybody is still asleep.

I really hate going to big cities, so theonly times I ever go there is when I ‘ve got work to do. The last time I have been there was about a year ago when I did cover a wedding in Delft.
But I know it can be extremely beautiful. When I was much younger than today, way before I met my wife I had a girl friend living about 60 miles from my home and in weekends I used to cycle all the way to her, leaving about 04.00 PM and then I always went through Delft at about 06.30 PM. At that time it is wonderful, especially in spring and autumn and one can imagine how it would have been in those days. The early morning light enhances everything to an almost unknown beauty.

The lighting of the subjects in the movie, as far as I have seen on the website, is wonderful indeed. Sometimes it makes me jealous.

Leen
JC
Jane Carter
May 21, 2004
I read the book recently, certainly wonderful!
We don’t watch many movies, but this one would be one that we really would like. Just put it on our ‘list’.
Thanks,
Jane
SR
Schraven_Robert
May 21, 2004
This may turn you all green with envy, but I have lived in Delft along a canal behind the townsquare for about a year.
Quite extraordinary to live in such a graphic town with so much living history in it. It is especially grand in the mornings and evenings, when the tourists are gone and the singing of the birds like swallows sound through the streets.

Have yet to see the movie,but understand from the reviews and now from Grant that it is worth a see.

Robert
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 21, 2004
Having recently read the book (which is extremely well written, and worthwhile in itself), I’m glad to hear that they have done a good job with the movie. Besides giving a glimpse into general life at that time/place in history, the story is rich with small detail. The author really succeeds in letting you see through the eyes of the main character – a household maid who assists Vermeer, and ultimately becomes the model for the painting ‘Girl with a Pearl Earring’.

I’ll definitely put it on my ‘must see’ list.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 21, 2004
Another excellent call by Grant. My wife had read the book and loved it (I’m more the Tom Clancy type) so as soon as the DVD was available we rented it. (We don’t go to theaters much any more. The new noise level hurts our ears.) Beautiful cinematography and, according to my wife, a fairly good representation of the book. Unexpectedly I really enjoyed it.

Slightly off the subject: For those interested in movies and TV shows here is an excellent site that helps this old brain with questions like "Who was the director?" or "What other work has this actor done?".

<http://us.imdb.com/>

Bob
AT
Anne_Twitchell
May 21, 2004
This is one of the few movies which I can honestly say is better than the book, which I also enjoyed. It is a stunning movie. There is beauty in every shot. Of course if you’re a fast action, car chasing sort of a guy or gal, you may find it a bit slow. But if you appreciate photography excellence and beauty, as WE do, you shouldn’t miss seeing it. The only film that is comparable in the last few years for photographic beauty, in my opinion, is "Winged Migration". Totally different, but totally magnificent.
RH
Ronald Hands
May 21, 2004
Grant:

Where did you find the movie? I’ve tried the library and both of the big rental outlets and nobody seems to have it.

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
JP
JoAnn_Paules
May 28, 2004
The book was wonderful! I didn’t realize that the movie had been released, much less out in DVD. Looks like I’ll be renting it this weekend. Probably not going to be a rush at the video store for that movie.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
This is one of the few movies which I can honestly say is better than the
book, which I also enjoyed. It is a stunning movie. There is beauty in every shot. Of course if you’re a fast action, car chasing sort of a guy or gal, you may find it a bit slow. But if you appreciate photography excellence and beauty, as WE do, you shouldn’t miss seeing it. The only film that is comparable in the last few years for photographic beauty, in my opinion, is "Winged Migration". Totally different, but totally magnificent.

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.690 / Virus Database: 451 – Release Date: 5/22/2004

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections