BC
Posted By
Birck_Cox
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is anal, but I like to keep my brush presets arranged in order of size from larger to smaller, top to bottom. Now, after using CS3 for about 6 months, then adding OS 10.5.5, I can’t keep them in order. It’s like the battery is dying or something. Every time I start up Photoshop, that is every day, I have to go into the Presets Manager and rearrange everything all over again. It’s driving me crazy. Note: they always de-arrange into the same order; maybe it’s the order I originally wrote them in. I don’t know. I don’t care. What do I have to do? I’m on a G5 PM 2GHz w/ 1.5 GB RAM.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
Have you changed your battery?

does this happen in a new user?

do you use your bracket keys to change brush size?
BC
Birck_Cox
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the post. I dug in a bit further. To recap: I’ve arranged the tool/brush presets just so. If I quit Photoshop, restart or shutdown, upon start, the presets have reverted to a different order. Always the same order, just not the order I left them in. Every single time. The battery is fine. I tested it. Time and date are fine, and all other PRAM details are OK. I keep a Test User, tried that, and I get the same problem. I don’t use the bracket keys. I Called Adobe TS and the agent assured me, after on-the-spot testing, that no version of CS in combo with Tiger or Leopard has EVER maintained a list of brush presets in a specific order. All I can say to that is, quote: "Horse puckey", unquote. IF that is the case, then A: What the heck is the Preset Manager for? B: what was happening here in my computer for the past ten years or so? and C: If the Preset Manager can manage to keep the brush SIZE presets arranged in the user-defined sequence ad nauseum, why is it impossible to keep the brush TOOL presets in a user-defined sequence? Can anybody help? I’m getting tired of poking the Preset Manager every day.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 4, 2008
Birck,

I just tested my Preset Manager and brushes by moving them around and then relaunching Photoshop CS3 and the brushes stayed where I’d moved them. If I had the problem you describe I’d suspect the brushes preference file was corrupt. To test my theory I’d probably try setting up my brushes the way I wanted and save the set so I could reload them.

Then I’d close Photoshop, go to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings/Brushes.psp and drag that brushes preference file to the desktop. Upon relaunching Photoshop, I’d expect to see a default set of brushes. Once more I’d open the Preset Manager and Load my saved set of brushes, replacing the default set. Theoretically that would create a new Brushes preferences file and might well eliminate your problem.
BC
Birck_Cox
Nov 4, 2008
OK, I just tried that. It didn’t work, in two different ways. For one, the default set of brushes didn’t load when I re-started PS after dumping the brush presets, rather, my de-organized presets loaded, in the bad order. Then, when I deleted those with the Presets Manager and loaded my organized set, they showed up ok, but after I quit and re-started PS, they had reverted to the usual de-organized hurrah’s nest.
Maybe it’s a terminology problem. I select the brush tool in the toolbox, then go up to the Options Bar-lefthand end-to the brush tool icon, dropdown menu, pick a brush style (hard, soft, airbrush, two different sizes, etc), then move over to the brush SIZE dropdown menu just to the right of the brush tool icon. I am referring to the left hand brush TOOL dropdown menu as the "brush tool preset" menu. Is that accurate? Or is there more or less to it? Can I store the Brush sizes menu too?
B
Buko
Nov 4, 2008
see if you can keep your brush positions in a new user.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections