DS
Posted By
Dick_Smith
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just out of curiosity, what is the difference, if any, between using the File>Revert command as opposed to using the Undo History and going back to the "open" state?

Dick

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PA
Patti_Anderson
May 18, 2004
I’m not positive about this, but I think of it as a "safety net" to get back to the original image after I have exceeded my allotted Undo’s. At least that’s what I have used it for.

Someone can enlighten me if I am wrong. 🙂

Patti
SS
Susan_S.
May 18, 2004
If I remember correctly the revert command takes you back to the state of the file as it was last saved – so if you save a file midway through an edit, revert will take you back to there, rather than to the file as first opened.
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 18, 2004
You’re right, Susan! I just tried it and it indeed only reverts back to the stage where you last saved it. I currently have my history states set at 75, but I rarely need to go back that far unless I am creating something like hair with the brush tool or trying to see what steps an action went through.

One more reason to always remember to duplicate your image before editing, eh? I think there should be an option to check to make creating a duplicate automatic!

Patti
DS
Dick_Smith
May 18, 2004
Thanks to all for your replies. I never thought about what happens when you run out of history!

Have to remember to keep this in the bag ‘o tricks.

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections