Colors don’t match between PS and AI (CS 3)

RM
Posted By
Robert_Meador
Oct 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CMYK images are displaying differently for me between PS and AI. In PS when they look "good" (and print similarly on my profiled Epson), in AI they look more contrasty and saturated, with a little color shift in the greens (towards blue).

My monitor is calibrated with a Monaco Optix, and I notice the difference between apps both on it and on my MacBook Pro screen.

Image profile is the standard SWOP v2. In AI, the document profile is SWOP v2. "Proof Colors" is unchecked in both apps. (If I check it, by default AI is radically different because it defaults to simulating black ink. Disabling this causes Proof Colors to have no visual effect.)

I asked this already in the AI forum, and the answer I got is basically "they should match, they do for me". I noticed elsewhere on this forum that AI and PS were different in color management, or rendering, or something, but didn’t see much info beyond that.

I figured there were enough color hounds on this forum to set me straight.

– Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Oct 31, 2008
are both applications set up the same in colorsettings?

if not they should be.
R
Ram
Oct 31, 2008
With a properly calibrated and profiled monitor, and with correct color settings in both programs, trust Photoshop’s colors over Illustrator’s.

This may have changed in CS4, but in CS3 Illustrator hadn’t caught up with Photoshop in regard to color management.
RM
Robert_Meador
Oct 31, 2008
Buko – Both apps are the same in color settings, via Bridge. Each app confirms colors are synched.

Ramón – I have done so and will continue to – thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections