Could not complete your request because of a program error.

J
Posted By
jacksain
Aug 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I reinstalled Photoshop 7.01 & Photoshop Elements 2 following a complete reformat and reinstallation of Windows 98se and all applications. Now, on both applications, I get the subject error when attempting to use various tools following opening of an image file. I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled with nothing in the background other than Explorer. I also reinstalled Internet Explorer. And, of course, I reset settings. Nothing helped. Prior to the reformat/reinstallation (which was done for other reasons), both applications worked fine, Both programs are useless now… Any suggestions?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 20, 2003
Try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the FAQ.
J
jacksain
Aug 20, 2003
Tried that, with both programs… no help.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
Did you get a dialog box prompting you for resetting your preferences? I just want to be sure that you actually reset them.

So if I got this right, PS (I don’t know anything about PSE so I can’t discuss it) loads fine. But when you open an image you get the error. Does it happen on any image or only some?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
Did you get a dialog box prompting you for resetting your preferences? I just want to be sure that you actually reset them.

So if I got this right, PS (I don’t know anything about PSE so I can’t discuss it) loads fine. But when you open an image you get the error. Does it happen on any image or only some?

I did a search of the Tech Support page and put in the above error message – it’s worth a look.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
I think it has to do with the default post script printer driver – odd I know, but check the tech support database, it’s listed there.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for reporting back.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 22, 2003
I don’t quite understand the connection here, but I am relieved it’s solved

The connection is that some drivers (and I’ve seen this with a lot of HP drivers) leave the registers in an inconsistant state. That is they’re poorly coded. Chris Cox has said the problem is alleviated by installing the PS driver because it’s well behave and cleans up after itself (and other messy printer drivers). Or something like that… 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections