Select images using keywords and view slideshow…using what?

SK
Posted By
Selwin_Kaaijk
Oct 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a library full of jpeg images that were created either using the export command from LR or by editing in Br/Ps and then savedAs jpeg. Now I want to watch slideshows on my monitor (30" Apple HD Cinema Display). Now I have the following Dilemma:

– I can start a Search Command in Bridge and narrow it down to exactly the images I want in my slide show. Then from the View menu select Slideshow. The IQ is terrible. True sharpness is only revealed when zooming in 100% but that’s not the idea of a slide show.

– I can also use Apple OS’s (Tiger) built-in slide show and start it from the finder. That way I get high quality, fast dissolving slide shows, that are unfortunately limited to the first 100 images in the Finder view. However, in the Finder I cannot select my images using keywords and IPTC info.

So could there be a simple solution to the problems I’m running into with Bridge? Or could there be a nice viewer for MacOS that features the search option I want and renders good images and dissolve option?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Oct 31, 2008
What version of Photoshop? What exact version of the OS?
SK
Selwin_Kaaijk
Oct 31, 2008
Hola Ramón,
Gracias for tuning in!. The files have been created using different versions of PS. I am currently using CS3 at the office. Bridge CS3 with the problematic slide show is version 2.1.0.100. Lightroom is version 1.2.

Why do you ask?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 31, 2008
Bridge CS4 has overcome the problems of CS3 and now provides excellent Previews and Slideshows.
R
Ram
Oct 31, 2008
Selwin,

You are running an obsolete version of Bridge. Update to Bridge 2.1.1.9 ASAP.

Why do you ask?

Because I’m neither a clairvoyant nor a mind reader, and it’s impossible to help you if we don’t know a thing about your setup.

Next time, give us a lot more details than you have provided so far.

CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
SK
Selwin_Kaaijk
Oct 31, 2008
@Ann Shelbourne: Thanks for your reply. I’m hesitant to upgrade to CS4 at this point. That would mean my only option is to look for a jpeg viewer other than Adobe that can select images based on keywords and iptc data. Would you know one that does?

@Ramon G Castaneda: I apologise for being an inexperienced forum visitor. I will take note of your advice and follow the posting instructions.
I checked FAQ’s both here and at Adobe, as well as the knowledge base. No results. I also searched the forum.
My setup: MPB dual core Intel, 2GB RAM, 30GB free disk space. Adobe CS3, just updated to Bridge version 2.1.1.9. No improvement at all so far. According to Ann only CS4 will solve the problem.

Thank you.
SK
Selwin_Kaaijk
Jan 26, 2009
@Ann Shelbourne (and others of course):
Ann you stated that CS4 has overcome the previews and slideshow problems. Based on this I decided to run CS4 on my Mac but the problems I encountered in Bridge CS3 remain:

– dissolve transitions are not smooth
– images displayed are not detailed. They become detailed only after zooming in.

Maybe it’s because I’m running this on a Mac? Are you on Windows?

Thank you.
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2009
No, neither Ann nor any of us are on Windoze. This is the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum.
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2009
images displayed are not detailed. They become detailed only after zooming in.

Check ALL your preferences. Make sure your machine and graphics card combination support OpenGL 2 and Shader Model 3, see if Generate Monitor-Size Previews is checked, etc.
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2009
We still don’t have any details on your machine and setup. :/
SK
Selwin_Kaaijk
Jan 26, 2009
Hi Ramon,
I listened to you and gave details about my setup in post #5. Apparently it’s not enough. I’ll be happy to tell you more. I will try to answer your questions in post #8. I’m not experienced enough to know what you’re talking about, so I’ll try to find it on the web, then I will get back to this topic.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2009
30GB free disk space

Totally inadequate.
SK
Selwin_Kaaijk
Jan 27, 2009
It’s a MBP, it only has a 160GB hard drive.
– How much free space would you say is required?
– Could I use a ext. HD w/ firewire 400 connection?
– Do you really think this problem is hardware related? In other words: do you get smooth dissolve transitions w/ Bridge CS4 slideshows on your machine?
– when I play a slideshow w/ Apple’s built in slideshow from the Finder, I get a fantastic smooth dissolve performance, so I guess any drivers I should need should already be installed correctly, or am I wrong?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 27, 2009
Selwin,

It’s a MBP, it only has a 160GB hard drive.

But that doesn’t make just 30GB any more useful. IF you were only to use Photoshop by itself to create small graphics or Web graphics, you might squeak by for the short term. But what happens as even more of the drive is filled up?

I’d clear up about half of that 160GB drive, moving files over to a large, fast external drive.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections