SS
Posted By
Susan_S.
May 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s OK, this isn’t another of the "how do I do this" threads … I do know how to use elements to get images from my digicam to the correct ratio and ppi for printing at a minilab. But I’m finding it a very frustrating exercise, composition wise. My old Kodak produces exact 6×4 images at 300 ppi straight out of the camera. But the Canon G3 is much squarer and I didn’t realise just how much I actually do compose my pictures to this ratio in-camera until I tried cropping them to the narrower format – most of my images just don’t work at all, which really surprised me. I expected that the cropping woud be a farily straightforward procedure. But it ain’t.

I guess for most images I’m just going to have to request that the pictures get printed with a white band down the sides rather than cropped (I know that the processor I am using can do this). Because I’ve mainly printed out the images on my own printer before, I’ve never really considered standard ratios, just cropped to get them to look best. Now what am I to do? Do I mentally adjust my compostion in camera to fit to the 6×4 ratio just in case I want to print commercially (it gives me a headache just thinking about trying to do that!)?. I don’t print that many images out, but I do want to have some tf the more significant family shots commercially printed for archival purposes. What do you folks do?

Susan S

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 16, 2004
Susan, I went through the evolution from taking shots at a distance that needed to be cropped substantially (and realized that conservation of pixels was working against me with that approach) to filling the frame from top to bottom and side to side with ‘content’ (and running into the bugaboo you’re referencing re standard sizes) to backing off some to (hopefully) capture enough peripheral content on the long side of the picture to allow a 4×6 crop. But then I decided (at the suggestion of some folks on the forum) that standard sizes are really not that important. If I’m going to frame a picture, I presumably can cut a mat to fit an odd crop, even if it’s commercially prepared and has those white bands on either side.

Problem goes away, at least for 4×6, when you move to a digital SLR. But it’s still the wrong ratio for 5×7 and 8×10 and whatever metric standards there may be. No easy solution….

Chuck
SS
Susan_S.
May 16, 2004
I think I was one of those who recommended ignoring the standard sizes then!! I think that’s the way I’m going to carry on going as I use commercial printing so rarely. I just have to make sure that the printer I use follows my instructions and doesn’t automatically crop to the print ratio.

Susan S
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 16, 2004
Susan,
This size thing is all pervasive. Here is what I did with the last set of my pictures:
1. Opened file and in Image>resize>image size entered 325 px/in. This maneuver brought the dimensions in inches to a manageable value
2. Went to rectangular marquee tool, fixed size, 6×4, and moved outline, now under my control, cropped excess
3. Carried out necessary enhancements
4. Saved pictures to a floppy (only had a couple) and printed them on the machine at CVS. They came out very well, precise size.
I then saved the work product to my hard drive.
Ken
D
davee
May 16, 2004
Mentally composing to 6×4 on a 4×3 camera is difficult. But, bearing in mind the LCD viewfinder is a glass panel, you could draw two lines across it with a very fine marker pen. You could start with water based pen to see if you like the idea.
Even small dashes on each side of the screen frame might help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections