SZ
Posted By
Steve_Zavodny
Oct 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running a G5 2.5 dual processor 4G ram, OSX.4.11 and everything +CS4 & LR2 runs very nicely. (It’s the woeful video card (128MB) that’s the biggest hang up at the moment)
I have an opportunity to install Leopard and I wonder if anyone can address the wisdom of such an idea? Thanks !

Or link to previous discussions:_____

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 29, 2008
Steve,

I have an opportunity to install Leopard

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it (yet).

Neil
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 29, 2008
I’d suggest adding another internal hard drive, if you have the room, and installing a Leopard system on that. Keep your 10.4.11 primary boot drive for your current workload but start learning Leopard. In my experience it is a great operating system and the advances over 10.4 are significant. As of this point most of the problems running Adobe products with Leopard and been resolved in CS4 if that is a consideration.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 29, 2008
Welles,

Certainly a viable option!

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 29, 2008
After experiencing all Apple’s OSs up to 10.4.11 my experience is that it is best not to move to a next version until
• a really good reason exists and
• reports from early adopters indicate that nothing is your workflow will likely be broken.

Only when both of those criteria are met should one upgrade. When they are met then it makes sense to
• backup a bootable version of the older OS and
• fully commit to the new OS, jump in with both feet.

IMO part-time learning of a new OS is inefficient. Learning a new OS is like learning a language, best done by full immersion.

No really good reason seems to exist for you to move to OS 10.5.x. Yet cost and downside risk do exist if you were to go to 10.5.x. And 10.4.11 is a good solid OS…
D
DYP
Oct 29, 2008
If you intend to print from PSCS4 I would not touch Leopard. Reportably 10.4.11 does not have the bug that forces the printer drivers to use Colorsync with no way to turn CM off.
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
Stick with Tiger.

If you must use Leopard do as Wells suggested. That’s what I did.

Using Superduper! I cloned my system drive and installed Leopard on that You will soon see why we made our suggestion to stick with Tiger.
R
Ram
Oct 29, 2008
Among other things, Epson will not be updating their drivers for such popular printers as the Epson 2200 to be compatible with Leopard. Ever.
SZ
Steve_Zavodny
Oct 29, 2008
"not be updating their drivers"
that’s the biggest problem right there.
I’m very happy with my old 1270.
R
Ram
Oct 29, 2008
Â…as am I with the 2200. I’m not going anywhere near Leopard.
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
the 2200 is one of many reasons I’m not using Leopard.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Oct 30, 2008
Geez, thanks for pointing that out – I’ve got the 1280.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections