M
Posted By
MrFancypantz
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This isn’t mac specific so I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I am currently running CS at work and when I save for web all the IPTC info gets stripped out. Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening in any of the Photoshops, CS or newer?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Oct 27, 2008
Save For Web is designed to generate the smallest possible file, so it will strip metadata.

In Cs through CS3, use "Save As" instead. CS4 may allow you to do what you want through Save For Web. Time to upgrade, maybe?
M
MrFancypantz
Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply, I def apreciate it. Save As doesn’t shrink the file down enough.

It just seems like I should have the flexibility to select what parts are getting thrown out, it should be a part of the quality adjustments.
B
Buko
Oct 27, 2008
It just seems like I should have the flexibility to select what parts are getting thrown out,

you do in CS4
R
Ram
Oct 27, 2008
You can choose whatever darn size you want in "Save As".
RM
Rick McCleary
Oct 27, 2008
New in CS4: Save for Web has been overhauled.

You can choose what metadata to save in the file:
– none
– copyright
– copyright and contact info
– all except camera info
– all

It’s particularly important in light of the Orphan Works copyright legislation that we embed copyright info in everything that goes out into the vapor.
PR
Paul_R
Oct 28, 2008
Just a side note, any scripts prior to Photoshop CS4 and uses SaveForWeb will save the JPEGS with IPTC in Photoshop CS4
R
Ram
Oct 28, 2008
Paul,

As written, I can’t make heads or tails out of your post #6. :/
PR
Paul_R
Oct 29, 2008
Ramon, if you are using a script written for Photoshop CS2/3 that produces SaveForWeb JPGs in CS2/3 Metadata is removed. This is not the case if the same script is used in Photoshop CS4 IPTC will still remain, it will not be striped.
R
Ram
Oct 29, 2008
Paul,

You’re not big on punctuation, are you?
M
MrFancypantz
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for all your help, it looks like I’ll be getting an upgrade at work so hopefully this won’t be an issue for me anymore.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Dec 7, 2008
There a way to "save for the web" and keep IPTC info on any prior version of CS.

Install and use from Terminal a free tool called Exiftool. Either you have one or a bunch of files you can copy and write metadata from their original files in only one command.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections