KA
Posted By
Kim_A._Fish
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have used Photoshop Elements for over a year now. We had it on another computer and just recently got a brand new computer that has a 3gb hard drive. I loaded it in just today, uploaded some pics and went to work on them in Photoshop. After getting them the way I wanted, I clicked "Save for Web" and the program closed down. Everytime I click the "Save for Web" option the program just goes away. Any ideas as to why? I would really like to be able to use this great program on my new computer. Thanks for any help!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 13, 2004
Now, I went back and tried to open some various pictures that are on my other computer that this one is networked to and the program just keeps closing. HELP!
BH
Beth_Haney
May 13, 2004
Do you get an error messages when it closes down? If so, what are they? And did you really mean your new computer has a 3GB hard drive or does it have a 3 ghz processor? When you installed Elements, did you disable any antivirus software first, especially Norton? I assume you’re running Windows XP?

I know, questions when you wanted answers, but I think more information will be helpful.
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 14, 2004
I tried to reload Adobe and it said it was unable to load something (I don’t remember what).

My computer is an HP Pavilion, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, 1 GB RAM.

No, I did not disable Norton when I loaded Photoshop in – am I suppose to? I don’t remember doing that when we loaded it on our previous computer.

Yes, I have XP running on this computer.

Thank you for your help. I do not mind answering questions if it will get me some answers to this problem.
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 14, 2004
Now, I uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled it. Still no go. When ever I open a picture and try to "Save to Web" it shuts down immediately and completely.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 14, 2004
Try deleting SaveForWeb prefs.

Hold down Control+Alt, then use SFW.
Choose "yes" when asked to delete prefs.

Mac
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 14, 2004
When I hold down Ctrl and Alt then click "Save for Web". It says "Remember" and "Reset". I click "Reset" and it all goes away still.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 14, 2004
Very strange.
You’re holding them both down while choosing Save For Web? Is this Elements 2?

Have you deleted prefs for the entire program, then?
Start Elements and QUICKLY hold down shift+control+alt.

Mac
KF
Kim_Fish
May 14, 2004
All I know is that it is Photoshop Elements. I have not tried deleting prefs for the entire program. I will try that a little later, as I am on another computer at the moment.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully, we will figure this out (with all of your help!).
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 14, 2004
Help/About Photoshop Elements

Mac
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 15, 2004
It just says Adobe Photoshop Elements when I do Help/About Photoshop.
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 15, 2004
It just says Adobe Photoshop Elements when I do Help/About Photoshop.

No matter what picture I try to Save for Web, as soon as I hit the OK button, the whole program goes away.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 15, 2004
OK, back to square one, because by now I don’t think any of us are sure what you’ve tried and what you haven’t. First uninstall Elements again. After you’ve done that, manually delete the Preference folder. Here’s the path for XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name here\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs

Once that’s gone, disable your Norton. Now reinstall Elements again, and don’t enable your antivirus software again until you’ve checked it to see if it’s working properly. Also, as Elements is opening, watch the splash screen and tell us whether you see a picture of a large sunflower or if you see another graphic that contains an eyeball. From that we’ll know which version you have.

Do this stuff and report back. And if you see any error messages, it really is VERY IMPORTANT to write down what they are and post them. We can be of much more help when we know exactly what you’re dealing with.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2004
Another possibility is to save your images in a different folder, and see if the problem disappear.

I don’t know if it’s been suggested, I miss half of the message of this thread (my news reader did some house cleaning!)

Ray
KA
Kim_A._Fish
May 15, 2004
Okay, here’s the deal:

I uninstalled it, disabled Norton, and reinstalled Photoshop Elements. When I open up PE there is a picture of a girl with part of her face behind a see-through Windows screen with a camera to her right. The background is a geenish color.

When I open up a picture (any picture from this computer, from a CD, from off my home-network) it opens. I can recrop, play around with and edit the picture with no problem. Since we have several websites, I have always used the "Save for Web" feature. So, I click on that, get everything the way I want it and click OK . . .boom. . .the whole program shuts down. It doesn’t even let me see the window to decide which folder I want to save it in.

I tried the "Save As" function and was able to save pictures in this way. But, we really use the "Save For Web" feature because we want the picture files as small as possible for our websites (www.geocities.com/hoppinherdofhares2003/home.html and www.geocities.com/regardsbullmastiffs/home.html).
DS
Dick_Smith
May 16, 2004
Kim,

Did you delete the Preferences folder as was suggested?

Dick
KF
Kim_Fish
May 17, 2004
THANK YOU FOR all of the help! IT worked! I retried the last post by Beth and it is now working normal. Thanks again!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections