DT
Posted By
Dennis_Talplacido
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a digital camera comes with Photoshop Elements, what I like to do on some of my images is digitally zoom it, crop and have it printed (4X6in). Most of the time it will be cropped again at the lab and lost part of the image.
I tried changing the image size but if the cropped image is small it will stretch it and if it large it will shrink it.

I don’t know if there’s a way I can specify the size of cropping window what ever you call that broken lines.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
May 12, 2004
When you have the crop tool selected, you will see entry boxes just under the menu that will enable you to enter the dimensions and the resolution that you want. There is also a "Clear" button that will allow you to crop freely if you want to do that later.
B
barbschaller
May 13, 2004
In article ,
wrote:

When you have the crop tool selected, you will see entry boxes just under the menu that will enable you to enter the dimensions and the resolution that you want. There is also a "Clear" button that will allow you to crop freely if you want to do that later.

Well, how cool is THAT!? <grin> Thanks, Jim; I’ve wondered how to do that, too. (I’m new to PE2 and am mostly puttering around on my own.) —
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 5/7/04 – Fajita Soup.
S
Stampmasker
Jun 21, 2004
Jim

I noticed there is a resolution box when using the crop tool. You mentioned it in the reply in this thread. Can you explain what the purpose is for the resolution box please? It is in pixels per inch. What should I set it to?

Brian
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 21, 2004
Don’t put anything in it unless you understand resampling.

In most every case, putting the same ppi or higher ppi in than image started with causes the image to be upsampled (adding new pixels by interpolation).

If any of that is Greek instead of Geek, try scantips.com, for a good explanation of pixels/ppi/print size.

M
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 21, 2004
We all know that more pixels make a better picture, right? So if you crop of picture you are going to remove some of the pixels. Photoshop Elements allows you to specify the resolution so that you can keep the pixel count high so that you can get good prints. The only problem is, that means Elements has to create pixels through resampling, and you don’t always get the results that you want. Photoshop CS has some new resampling choices that improve on this tremendously, but they are not available in Photoshop Elements. I think the best thing for you to do would be to experiment with a copy of one of your photos, and try cropping and setting different resolutions and saving each cropped photo as a separate file. Then you can compare them to find out what works best for you.
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 21, 2004
Also check out the topic "Picture Package" for info on cropping to a specific size

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb47ada>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections