RL
Posted By
Rick Lyon
Oct 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I notice after a while of switching to and from CS4, that the mask icon section of the tool palette doesn’t render correctly. I have a jpg of the issue but there is not photo upload here. Basically, half the quick mask icon is gone, cut in half.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Oct 25, 2008
there is not photo upload here.

Provide a link to your image. Use the free Pixentral.com if you have nowhere else to upload it.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 25, 2008
K, I put it on flicker. It’s the bottom section and I drew a green rectangle around the issue. It comes and goes so a re-draw issue when going back to PS from another app.

< http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2971862641_524a1eff73_o. jpg>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
Try using the Reset tools option (in the left end of the Options Bar).

If that doesn’t work, reset your Prefs.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 25, 2008
I’ve only had CS4 for like 4 days, not sure how my prefs could be corrupted already? But I’ll give that a try.

Also, going from a single column tool palette to the double column also has a re-draw issue where the top grab section of the palette does not draw and stays white. This is a consistent issue that can only be fixed by moving the palette off the side edge.

< http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2972053429_a794557128_o. jpg>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
This sounds like a graphics card issue.

Which video card do you have?
And how big is your monitor — and do you have more than one.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 25, 2008
24" iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2008
Have you applied the firmware update from Apple for this card?

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2166?viewlocale=en_US>
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 26, 2008
My unit wasn’t listed on the affected models list. My iMac is the latest version, just a few months old. The article also says I’d be prompted to update if it were needed and that the firmware is included in 10.5.1 and I’m running 10.5.5. So I assume that I’m up to date.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 26, 2008
If trashing photoshop’s Prefs. and cleaning out youe caches fails to fix this problem, I suggest that you take the computer into the Apple Store and get them to check it over for you.

Meanwhile, check that your RAM, Video card and internal cables are all firmly seated in the machine.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
check that your RAM, Video card and internal cables are all firmly seated in the machine.

Ann its an iMac not a real photoshop machine and no real easy way to do what you suggest. Its not like you can take the side off and check the interior like a tower.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 26, 2008
Seeing that I use PS exclusively on this machine, I take exception that ‘it’s not a real photoshop machine’. I upgraded from a G5 and this iMac more than improves my PS experience thank you. The correct part is that this isn’t a tower, but the RAM is fine and I experience no other issues with any other programs. I also did not have any of these issues, or similar, with CS2 that I upgraded from.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 26, 2008
Assuming that you do normal maintenance, It could still be a hardware problem.

If iMacs make it too difficult to check internal connections yourself, take the machine into the Apple Store.
NT
Nini Tj
Oct 26, 2008
Looks to me like a screendraw issue more than anything else. The kind you might get when you are short of available RAM. Does it go away after restarting Photoshop? Does it go away after restarting the machine? Does it still do it if you have a one-column tools isntead of two columns?

I run Photoshop CS4 Extended on a 20 inch Intel iMac (first Intel model) with 1,5 GB RAM (and a large external HD for scratch) and have no such problemes. Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 26, 2008
Both issues go away. The tool palette goes away if I change the palette from edge alignment to the floating version. Then it’s fine. It’s only an issue if I go back to single column and then make it two column while it’s anchored to the edge of the screen. In single column it is not there. The gap seems to be the grab area does not expand into a two column width, like a graphic or dimensions aren’t loaded when the conversion is made.

The mask icon issue happens every so often after switching to and away from PS. So, if i see it, switch away and then come back it’s gone most of the time.

The reason I’d say it’s PS over my machine is PS has always had buttons cut off since CS on 3 different macs. CS2 has window palette and save for web buttons cut off (not sure if CS3 fixed those issues) None of these issues are performance changers, no crashes or anything, just visual bugs to me. I mostly just wanted to report my experiences but I’ll check the prefs and presets as well.
JC
Julian_Cheng
Oct 27, 2008
Rick

I encountered the same problem as you do. Switching between 1 and 2 columns can solve it. No problem when it’s 1 column. Change to floating does not solve it.

<http://juliancy.org/incomplete-display.jpg>

I think it’s a software display bug in the interface.

It it’s a hardware problem, I wonder how it could affect only one palette wherever it’s put on the screen, and always go if we change to 1 column.
JC
Julian_Cheng
Oct 27, 2008
Just report back.

I have tried deleting the settings by pressing Cmd+Opt+Shift when opening the Photoshop. It does not solve the problem.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 27, 2008
At least it confirms it’s not my machine. There is obviously something else going on with CS4 as I have 2 rendering bugs with the tool palette.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
I think that it has to be something to do with the way that your machines are configured because it does not happen on all machines — and definitely not on mine.

I still think that it is hardware- or driver- related.

Do you have ANY other programs running, even in the background, which might be conflicting with CS4; or anything non-standard in your StartupItems Folders?
R
Ram
Oct 28, 2008
Rick,

What’s your monitor’s resolution?
C
Cindy
Oct 28, 2008
I have seen it on my machine but unfortunately I did not document the exact circumstances. I am on a Mac Pro with 5 gig of RAM.
RL
Rick Lyon
Oct 28, 2008
My monitor is 1920×1200.
JC
Julian_Cheng
Oct 31, 2008
Just feel that CS4 has kindof completely changed the architect of its interface (for OpenGL?!) which has resulted in some strange problems hardly seen before.

Another similar (or related?) problem I’ve encountered is that the Options Bar does not respond to Expose when the latter is activated to pull all windows outwards to show the desktop. The Option Bar always drops back on the desktop.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 31, 2008
Expose and Spaces don’t know what to do with some windows. Apple is still working on them.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections