JL
Posted By
Jim_L._McCarthy
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Upon opening Photoshop Elements 2.0, the "foreground" and "background" boxes at the bottom of the Toolbox are black and magenta, not black and white as they should be. The tiny black/white reset button at the bottom left of the boxes has no effect. As a result, all photos have a bright, uncorrectable magenta cast.

When I open the same photos in Microsoft Office Picture Maker or in Windows Picture and Fax View, the images are normal. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling Elements to no avail. I’ve also tried everything suggested in the User Guidebook that came with the software.

The computer is a brand new HP Pavilion a550y desktop with Windows XP Home Edition, 2.8 MHz Pentium 4 processor, 512 MB RAM, NVidia 128MB GeForceFX 5200XT graphics card, and Samsung 753DF CRT monitor.

Any suggestions?

I also use Elements 2.0 software in a 5-year old Dell desktop running Windows 98 with a Dell CRT monitor. On this machine, the Toolbox foreground/background boxes are black/white and the program works perfectly.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CR
Chris_Rankin
May 11, 2004
Jim,
Don’t know that this will help solve your problem but it may help someone else’s response to it: have you tried clicking on either of the color boxes to change the color? Have you tried deleting the Elements preferances?

CR
JL
Jim_L._McCarthy
May 11, 2004
CR:
Thanks for the input. Yes I’ve tried to reset the color in both HSB and RGB by clicking on the boxes. I’ve also done everything possible in Preferences
Jim Mc
BH
Beth_Haney
May 11, 2004
What you need to try next is resetting the Elements Preference folder. This will force everything back to default settings, which would include the colors in the Foreground/Background boxes. The folder is prone to corruption, although nobody has ever figured out why. And, when you did an uninstall/reinstall, this folder would not have been replaced unless you’d done a separate search for it and deleted it manually. So…

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down at once until you get a screen asking if you want to delete settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as PSE continues to launch.

I suspect this will correct one problem, but I’m also wondering if you might have more than one thing going on. What’s the source of these image files? If they’re coming from a digital camera, there is the possibility you need to download the Adobe Ignore EXIF plugin. A magenta cast to images has been associated with EXIF data, too. But, one thing at a time – delete the Preferences and report back.
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 11, 2004
To reset Preferences hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys as you open Elements. This will return Elements to its default settings.

Patti

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections