SB
Posted By
Swashy_Buckler
Oct 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed the CS4 Design Premium upgrade last night and since then I have had 5 crashes in PS (and 3 in Illustrator). They seem to mostly happen when I click on the desktop, but twice it happened while saving a file. I have been running CS3 flawlessly with basically zero crashes that I can remember.

Im running hardware requirements well above the recommended.

Ive done a system check (with Disk Utility, for what it’s worth) and repaired permissions. It is not a scratch disk issue, more than enough space.

Im at my wit’s end here and Im being forced to work back in CS3, unfortunately.

Has anyone else been experiencing anything similar? Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2008
CS4 is solid as Gibraltar here.

What is your hardware configuration and which Mac OSX are you running? I imagine that you do have a dedicated Scratch HD in addition to your boot drive?

Did you Repair Permissions again after installing CS4 as well as before? It is essential that you do so — a lot of Flash permissions need to be repaired.

Also, CS4 is a major installation and I seriously recommend that you run DiskWarrior after installing it.
HJ
harvey_jewett
Oct 24, 2008
I’ve had a few crashes but only when accessing 3rd party plugins and working on huge files.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 24, 2008
Harvey,

I’ve had a few crashes but only when accessing 3rd party plugins and working on huge files.

Then you should check compatibility of those plug-ins with their developers.

How large are these "huge files"? Which computer? What is your OS? How much RAM do you have? How much free hard drive space? How much dedicated scratch disk?

Neil
SB
Swashy_Buckler
Oct 24, 2008
Well, 80% of the work I do are with files over 300MB, so I hope its not because they are large files. Anyway, I should have listed everything before. Here’s my configuration:

Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2×3 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA 8800 GT w/512MB
14GB RAM

App is on internal HD with 200GB free, Primary scratch is on separate internal HD, (using a dedicated 100GB partition.)

OSX 10.5.5 (all updates from Apple are current, which would include the latest NVIDIA driver, I assume)

I’m not running any 3rd party plug-ins (other than Suitcase Fusion 2 auto-activation)

I did repair permissions after install and I didnt see any repairs exclusive to Flash (or any CS files)

I have not run Disk Warrior, as I dont have it. Just used Disk Utility, which I know is sub-par. There were no errors for what its worth.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 24, 2008
Swashy,

Just used Disk Utility, which I know is sub-par.

Not true. This is not the wimpy Disk Utility of OS 9 days. It can and does successfully fix System permissions issues, and can fix certain types of disk problems. DiskWarrior targets directory and fragmentation issues at least as well as any other utility.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 24, 2008
Swashy,

Just used Disk Utility, which I know is sub-par.

Not true. This is not the wimpy Disk Utility of OS 9 days. It can and does successfully fix System permissions issues, and can fix certain types of disk problems. DiskWarrior targets directory and fragmentation issues, probably at least as well as any other utility.

Neil
JR
James_R._Collins
Oct 24, 2008
Since the subject of DiskWarrior has arisen, are there any other programs which perform the same function for OSX 10.5.5 on a Mac Pro introduced on 1/8/08.

Thanks

Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections