Proportional scaling by side control handle fixed in CS4?

KH
Posted By
Kris_Hunt
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Illustrator and InDesign, if you hold down Shift and scale an object by dragging a side control handle, the object scales proportionally from the opposite side as it should. In Photoshop CS3, it ignores the Shift key and stretches the image. Is this fixed in CS4?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 23, 2008
No, Kris, only the corners scale proportionally. As it has always been this way and I’m primarily a Photoshop user, to me it works just fine. Consistency of basic functions a suite of apps does make sense, though. You might want to post that request in the Feature Request forum listed at the top of the main forum page.
KH
Kris_Hunt
Oct 24, 2008
The fact that it is impossible to scale proportionally with a side control handle doesn’t sound "just fine" to me. This is a long neglected bug that needs to be fixed.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 24, 2008
Kris,

I see the exact same scaling behavior in both PSCS3 and PSCS4. As Welles posted, side handles have never allowed proportional scaling. You must use a corner handle for that.
B
Buko
Oct 24, 2008
What Scott said.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 24, 2008
Welles and Scott and Buko are all correct this use to drive me crazy when I first started using photoshop and did not know any better.

I made a couple of edits here, what I originally meant that dragging side handles works in Illustrator that way and when I started using Illustrator it used to drive me crazy because I would confuse the behavior between the two programs. Is that what you are doing?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections